Miata 1.8 Boosting - CARB-Approved Turbos and Superchargers

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
eluviis

Miata 1.8 Boosting - CARB-Approved Turbos and Superchargers

Post by eluviis »

I'm trying to make a plan for my NA. I'm aware there are some CARB-approved turbo and supercharger kits available for the NA.

I've been sort of leaning towards a small turbo however.

Can you guys list all the CARB-Approved Turbos and Superchargers available for the 1.8 Miata?

So far I can find the…

1. Bell Engineering Series 2
2. Bell Engineering Series 3

But not much else.

What about the Jackson Supercharger?

Any of the Flyin' Miata kits CARB-Approved?
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Miata 1.8 Boosting - CARB-Approved Turbos and Supercharg

Post by Brian »

The Jackson kits all out of production, you might find one used.

Sorry, I don't know which FM kits might be CARB approved.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

eluviis wrote:I'm trying to make a plan for my NA. I'm aware there are some CARB-approved turbo and supercharger kits available for the NA.

Can you guys list all the CARB-Approved Turbos and Superchargers available for the 1.8 Miata?

So far I can find the…

But not much else.

Hey Danny!

I don't think FM has any CARB approved forced induction kits. I'm pretty sure the only CARB approved BEGi is the S3. Lots of old Jackson kits for sale: craigslist, clubroadster.net or miata.net for sale sections.

New CARB supercharger kits are available from Tom at Fast Forward. http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com/products.html

EDIT: Rocky has installed a few FFS kits running around San Diego.

You don't come to the autocrosses lately?
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

Chris Thompson wrote:
eluviis wrote:I'm trying to make a plan for my NA. I'm aware there are some CARB-approved turbo and supercharger kits available for the NA.

So far I can find the…

But not much else.

Hey Danny!

I don't think FM has any CARB approved forced induction kits. I'm pretty sure the only CARB approved BEGi is the S3. Lots of old Jackson kits for sale: craigslist, clubroadster.net or miata.net for sale sections.

New CARB supercharger kits are available from Tom at Fast Forward. http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com/products.html

EDIT: Rocky has installed a few FFS kits running around San Diego.

You don't come to the autocrosses lately?
Hi Chris,

I do. I was the latest one. But I couldn't stay very long. You were busy driving, so I didn't say hi. But I did write a small article about it and you even got a photo and a mention. :) Here:

http://rallyways.com/quickblog/late-spr ... lo-auto-x/

As you can see, now I have an NA too. :) You'll see it soon.

Thanks for the info. Those Bell kits Brian has look pretty good.

-Danny
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Great blog as usual! Thanks for the mention. Please tell your Dad I say hello.

I have also been thinking (for 2 years) about the BEGi S3 for my 1999. I would need to cheat a little to run one on my 99 because it has an extra catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold. Corky would need to make a manifold he hasn't made for many years special for me. Your NA is a much better candidate for turbo.

The FFS kit is a great unit and may suit your needs. Buy in price is a bit steep but so is resale value of Tom's product.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

Thank Chris, I'll make sure to say hi to my dad from you when I talk to him. Maybe he'll be back out here soon again.

Quick question, That BEGi turbo system, say Series 2 or 3... I understand I would need a BEGi fuel system along with the kit... And what about tuning? I suppose I would have to tune separately as well, right?

It's almost sounding like it's too much money to make an NA as fast as my NC, eh? Lol. Almost better to just by an NC if you want a fast NA. Haha.
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

eluviis wrote:I understand I would need a BEGi fuel system along with the kit... And what about tuning? I suppose I would have to tune separately as well, right?
The rising rate fuel pressure regulator in supposed to suffice (instead of tuning) for low boost applications. It's also required (technically) to be CARB legal.

Personally I believe tuning via PCM reprogramming, powercards or other types of piggy-backs (like Greddy emanage) is preferred over simply raising fuel pressure during boost. Monitoring mixture and knock is an absolute must no matter how you control the engine.

eluviis wrote: It's almost sounding like it's too much money to make an NA as fast as my NC, eh? Lol. Almost better to just by an NC if you want a fast NA. Haha.
This is a smart conclusion but I still have not fully convinced myself to give up on my '99. She's just too sweet. Completely different feel than my '08.