Is CARB retroactive?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Curves

Is CARB retroactive?

Post by Curves »

Let's say one were to purchase header X for the NC in 2013.
Finally header X gets CARB certified in 2018.
Does that mean the header X purchased in 2013 is CARB certified even though it would not have a stamp on it?
Chris Thompson

Re: Is CARB retroactive?

Post by Chris Thompson »

Hi Robert!

Perhaps the first question should be "Brian, is anyone producing aftermarket headers for the NC seeking CARB exemption?"

I think the answer to you question is technically no. CARB approved converters are stamped with the EO number on the shell. Would anyone look for that stamp? Some yes, some no just like they do now.

My $.02
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We hope to get our street header CARB approved, but technically we need to put the number on the converter can when that happens. However, since the can can't be seen well anyway, I expect a shop looking for the number might accept a sticker under the hood somewhere.

The CARB would be retroactive if they don't make us change anything, but my crystal ball is too cloudy to make the call on that.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

I assume that the same would apply to any aftermarket item - like a new supercharger kit? :D
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Correct.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
timw

Post by timw »

Any update on the street header being CARB approved? Will the midpipe be submitted as well? Sorry for my naiveté, but is the muffler not subject to CARB review? Specifically, the street one?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The first thing that happens is that the NC generation goes out of production. Seriously, that's when CARB process starts because otherwise it is a pain to get the next year of production included.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
timw

Post by timw »

Thanks, so after a ND appears in showrooms is the start of when I can start polling the website for CARB street headers, correct? And mid pipe? Also still curious if I need to worry about a street single muffler being CARB'd or not. I left California well before CARB'd parts only to return recently, so a bit out of the loop.

I just bought an NC last week, a 2012 that was sitting for awhile and depreciating for me. Have moved from a '96 NA to a Swift Formula Ford to now the NC. Lemme know when you start offering dog ring manual upgrades for the 6SP :) I am afraid I will miss my Hewland...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

CARB does not apply to anything after the converter. So, as far as CARB is concerned, you can run any muffler or no muffler.

My best guess is two years post end of NC production. We have CARB midpipes for all 99 through 2005 Miatas now....it just took years for it to happen. Same will eventually happen with NC.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Curves

Post by Curves »

Don't forget, new cars have six years SMOG exemption.