New Roll bar for track days questions.

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
seatac

New Roll bar for track days questions.

Post by seatac »

I'm looking to do some track days and they are saying the factory roll bar is not sufficient. Looking through the selection here I have a few questions.

The link below are the regulations I have to follow. I don't need a full cage, a rollbar will do so Appendix II is applicable.

http://www.caccautosport.org/wp-content ... ndices.pdf

I have some questions on the construction of the bars sold at Goodwin and the experience of folks here who've tracked their cars.

For fabrication the rules specify:

It says DOM tubing will likely be the requirement in the future. I didn't see anything about what kind of tubing is used.

A 0.476 cm (.1875") diameter inspection hole drilled in each main hoop. Do they come with an inspection hole pre-drilled or should the installer do this?

Diameter and thickness are specified as:
Under 2500 lbs 4.45 cm X 0.30 cm (1.75" X .120")
Over 2500 lbs 5.72 cm X 0.30 cm (2.250" X .120")
Wikipedia says the car goes from 2447-2542. That kinda spans the over/under above and my car is the Grand Touring. I've lost some weight with header/mid-pipe/exhaust but also added some weight with aftermarket sound system and sound deadening (mostly to stop the vibration of the door pannels). The thickest bars I see here are 2". Seems really odd as I can't seem to find a rollbar that fits the 2 1/4" requirement anywhere. I'm thinking 2" should be sufficient, but I'd like to know the thoughts or experience anyone else has had with track day tech inspection scruteneers.

It can be no further than 10" behind and must be 2" above the driver's helmet. I know this depends greatly on the driver but assuming a 5'10" driver with the factory seat almost all the way back and all the way down anyone have trouble passing the "broomstick test"? Given a lot of the AWR are 2+" taller I'm thinking I would fit under it. Any thoughts or experience from folks of similar size?

From a finishing perspective I'd like it to fit under the softtop/removable hardtop. Also is it possible to get them powder coated/painted other colours? If so how much and can it match the paint codes of my car?

Am I over thinking this? Its a fairly substantial investment and I'd hate to waste a grand only to find I need something different.

Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New Roll bar for track days questions.

Post by Brian »

Lots of folks running 1.75" X .120" and nobody has reported any issues getting through tech.

Note the AWR bars officially OUT OF PRODUCTION FOREVER....so when current inventory goes there will be no more. Just too expensive to make, too nice, etc. The AWR full cages will continue.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
seatac

Post by seatac »

Damn, so if it says "out of stock" or "sold out" you aren't getting any more? I was looking at the QUICK CHANGE Black MX5 SINGLE 2 Inch Hoop Bar--with Removeable REAR SUPPORTS.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That is correct, sorry to say one last of that model going to customer who ordered it months ago...and no more coming....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com