Racing Beat or Progress Sways

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
tmac

Racing Beat or Progress Sways

Post by tmac »

I have a 2006 with totally stock sport suspension and am starting to do some handling upgrades. First was a precision alignment, next will be sway bars, and eventually I plan to add Progress springs and Koni shocks.

The car is a daily driver, no racing, but I do like to have fun in the curves. If I had to describe what I am looking for it would be a "sport-touring" setup. Firm is fine but I am trying to avoid harsh.

So given the setup I am looking for I'm thinking either Racing Beat or Progress sway bars. Can anyone compare the ride and handling between the two for me? For instance, will the extra stiffness of the Progress bars mean a significant increase in harshness, or is the increase minor and worth it for better handling?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Racing Beat or Progress Sways

Post by Brian »

The Progress is the more serious setup. So, for light sport touring I suggest our Racing Beat sways, still a big step up from stock.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tmac

Post by tmac »

Thanks Brian, that is the direction I am leaning as well. I like the quality of the Progress bars but they may be too stiff for my purposes.
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

I have a stock suspension with progress sways

I didn't notice a difference in ride comfort compared to the stock sways.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Really can't go wrong with the Progress or Racing Beat sways.

Both are a bargain, the Racing Beat are a great step up from stock and bargain priced for the combo.

The Progress sways are just more serious, more stiff, wider brackets, a product more in line with the Hotchkis bars but for much lower price.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tmac

Post by tmac »

JamesK383,

So the Progress sways didn't seem to increase stiffness on bumps that are only on one side (like potholes)? Interesting, I thought that would be the natural byproduct of increasing bar stiffness, and a reason to not go too stiff. If that isn't true, what is the downside of going to a stiffer bars?
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

That question requires a very complicated answer.

Theoretically the sway bars only work while the car is swaying to one side. You turn left your car will roll right. your outside suspension compression and your sway bar compresses the inside suspension to keep the car flat/level through a turn.

This video explains it well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_liGnV3PTiQ

Basically if your car isn't swaying left or right, then they are doing much. So bumps from pot holes won't change because of a sway bar. This is going be affected more by changing springs, shocks and tires.

your ride comfort won't suffer, at least not noticeably. your handling will be more balanced and that is a good thing.
tmac

Post by tmac »

True, but it seems that hitting a bump on one side acts on the bar in the same way, i.e. it twists the bar, shifting force to the other side; effectively increasing the force, or spring rate, on the original wheel. Hitting something like a speed bump square on should have no effect (as if the bar is not there) as the bar is not twisted, both ends simply move in the same direction.

In any case I'm still curious. What is the affect of using a set of bars that are too stiff?
GaryO935

Post by GaryO935 »

I have Progress sways and I love them. I think the manufacturing is top notch. The car handles great and the ride is not harsh....and some of our roads here are crap.

Gary
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

I think doing the alignment first is the right way to go.

I did bars then alignment and i feel the alignment did the most for my handling and responsiveness ( i also swapped out some worn Kumhos for Micheline Pilot SS when the alignment was done)

The progress and racing beat are not hard enough for you to worry about and will help control the roll. you should be happy either way.