Springs and Sways for 'Mountain Ripper NC" or Coilovers?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Springs and Sways for 'Mountain Ripper NC" or Coilovers?

Post by Brian »

I get this question often, spring and shocks....or Coilovers... for aggressively driven NC. Customer today actually termed it suspension for 'mountain road ripper' NC?

So much depends on what you want to do with the car...and how serious you want the handling?

My wife's 2012 has just our Progress Springs and Sways and every time I get out of that car I tell my wife that her car "is a blast to drive!". It is much more flat in the twisty bits than stock and I find myself driving it like a total hooligan through curves and freeway ramps at 9/10ths. Yet if I took her car to an autocross event and push it to 10/10ths it would prove faster than stock....and then fall on its face compared to my 2006 with Ohlins. Once you reach 10/10ths her car would not be near as much fun because it is just not setup to be pushed that hard, doesn't have enough damping, enough spring rate, etc. The description of "mountain road ripper" makes it sound like you want to push it and would appreciate a set of coilovers. In that regard the Ohlins are a complete revolution of the suspension but also more suspension than 90% of owners will ever use. Lots of intermediate steps like the TEIN coilovers, we have a few street customers on these new TEIN STREET FLEX and they tell that me they love the new setup.

One advantage of the real coilovers is shorter shock bodies. If you want to lower the car significantly then you start to give up enough travel that you spend a lot of time on the bumpstops. At lower heights (particularly around 13 inches and below), the coilovers will give you more travel before you hit the stops...and the higher spring rates actually give BETTER ride because you don't get to the stops near as quick.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
czarnecki

Re: Springs and Sways for 'Mountain Ripper NC" or Coilovers?

Post by czarnecki »

Brian, I liked your comparison of the difference in autocrossing with both a spring and sway upgrade to the standard Ohlins coilovers. I currently have the standard Ohlins, and I am considering revalving and respringing them to the full race version specs. How would you describe the difference in autocrossing the standard Ohlins to the full race versions?

Also, do you have a parts list of what I need for the upgrade? Is it just the Swift springs?
08 PRHT GT Copper Red 6MT/BEGI 2560 Turbo Kit by Moto-East/EcuTek/AEM Meth Inj/Ohlins Coils/245 Dunlop Z2s/9" Gold RPF1s/FM Sways/GWR Midpipe & Q
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Assuming your local autocross surface is pretty smooth then you will find more speed with the stiffer setup, the car reacts faster, less lean, less dive, etc. The downside is more firm ride in the real world where the surface is not always very smooth at all. If the autocross surface you regularly use is not smooth, then I can't say there would be much gain. Our surface here in San Diego has slowly gone rough over the years such that we have retreated from the most stiff springs.

You need just the revalve, the swift springs...and our delrin adapters for the rear. You will also need longer bolt for the rear and spacer for the bottom connection (you are moving from high clearance spring to narrow race spring and need to reduce arc of travel by spacing out bottom shock connection about 3/8 inch).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Allow me to post an alternative view. My Ohlins came with the 7k/4k spring setup and did well at 2011 Solo Nationals but was definitely off the pace of the top runners. In 2012 I upgraded the springs to Swift 9k in front and Tein tapered 7k springs in back. The Tein tapered springs have the same shape as the stock springs so no delrin adapters are needed. I installed these without revalving the Ohlins. At 2012 Solo Nationals, my hot shoe co-driver set fast time in class on the West course with this setup. So this can be a nationally competitive setup without having to revalve your Ohlins, which gives you the option of going back to the 7k/4k more comfortable street version if you desire.

Would the stiffer springs be even faster? Could be, depends on the driver's style and the surface of the autox course. You are free to go that route. Just wanted to let you know there is an alternative that is less expensive than the full on race valved Ohlins that is a very competitive setup.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Wow, fantastic results, thanks for sharing. Which sways/wheels/tires?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Sways: Front Racing Beat adjustable, set to middle. Rear Eibach 16mm solid set to soft.
Wheels: Enkei RPF1 17x9 45et
Tires: 245/40 x 17 Toyo R1R
Full fender lip roll and cut back fender liners
OS Giken diff
PPE long tube header + mid pipe plus GWR oxygen sensor extensions
GWR Race Single muffler
AEM CAI modified to stay STR legal (above the plastic separator on the internal bumper)
Moto East tune

A different hot shoe driver won the 2013 Packwood National Tour STR class on BFG Rivals in the car. Sorry, no 2013 Solo Nationals results, couldn't make the trip this year.
czarnecki

Post by czarnecki »

Thanks for the info morrisg. I think I might try your setup for next season. Brian, I see you have the 5K Tein springs for sale, but can you get the 7K for the rear?
08 PRHT GT Copper Red 6MT/BEGI 2560 Turbo Kit by Moto-East/EcuTek/AEM Meth Inj/Ohlins Coils/245 Dunlop Z2s/9" Gold RPF1s/FM Sways/GWR Midpipe & Q
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

TEIN had 6k and 5k last I spoke to them.

We could do 7k in Swift and you would need our Delrin converters to make it work.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JeremyJ069

Post by JeremyJ069 »

so im back at researching a track worthy suspension for my mx5.
what would you recommend for someone who comes out of corners looking like this?
3 - Green - Turn 9 (1055am) - NIC_9211-Sep14-13 by jeremy!, on Flickr
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Wow, that does need some help. What suspension mods so far?

And what is on there for wheels and tires?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com