VOLUNTEERS for...Development of NEW NC2 intake with AEM!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

VOLUNTEERS for...Development of NEW NC2 intake with AEM!

Post by Brian »

Hi Folks

We have worked with AEM for years and long encouraged more NC stuff. They are interested in doing a few things.

FIRST PROJECT.
AEM Dry Element filter for factory airbox. We would be happy to sell them, hope they do it soon.

SECOND PROJECT.
COMPLETE NEW INTAKE for all NC. This is the BIG NEWS: They need volunteer with 2012/2013 NC2 in the Hawthorne California area willing to loan an otherwise TOTALLY STOCK NC2 to AEM for 2 weeks. The volunteer gets a FREE rental car and gets the resulting intake FREE, the before and after dyno work for free, etc. The newer the NC2, the better. MUST BE STOCK. The hope for the new intake is to engineer something radically different from the current design, including a complete replacement rotationally molded intake box with incorporated ram intake.....something rather like what they do for the MINI (see picture below). They also hope to make this new intake in such a manner that removal of the front bumper skin is not required. Understand that this is merely what they HOPE to get done, they might run into issues unforeseen today that mean they fall back to doing simple update of the AEM kit we have been selling for years. But, hopes are high and they want to take a shot at the more complete setup. Email Brian through the "contact us' button here at Good-Win Racing if interested.

THIRD PROJECT.
New shock tower brace (sorry you don't get that part free!). Not much info on this except that engineer is former Hotchkis suspension expert.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Re: VOLUNTEERS for...Development of NEW NC2 intake with AEM!

Post by Brian »

Okay, AEM let me know they need another local volunteer. Again looking for stock low mileage in Los Angeles area. Contact me by email through our site if interested.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

AEM reports their testing is complete! They tried several sealed box ideas but intake air temps did not beat the factory box...and their classic cold air design does better. Thus, they are doing updated version of the AEM cold air intake for NC2 that will be just a bit easier to install on NC2 (though it will still have you use factory rubber elbow).

They also teased with 'We are test fitting the strut tower bar '.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
njaremka

Post by njaremka »

excellent news! do they have an ETA for availability? where do you think it will land for pricing?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

They hope to have updated version on sale by late October....and price should remain about the same.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

UPDATE, new version now shipping! New part number. One tube a bit shorter so that kit now installs easier on all years of the NC generation. Also, new filter, higher pleat ratio per inch for even better flow! We will get the site updated in the next few days but new version starts shipping NOW on all orders.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MikeN009

Post by MikeN009 »

STR legal?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Have not seen the final revised item, but I doubt it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Va MX5

Post by Va MX5 »

Hi Brian,

I have a couple of question about the Updated Version AEM CAI.

Does the product as shipped, include everything needed out of the box for install on NC2 - GT - 6 speeds or do I in someway have to deal with retaining the existing resonator camber / cowl induction part of the stock system by re-use of OEM parts?

Based on some of the things I have been reading online, it is claimed the resonator system smooths out the intake pulses and adds a small amount of torque to the performance metrics, but what is your opinion about this?

What did you do on Andi's car?

For a car used for dual purpose ( track & DD) are there any concerns about exposure to normal levels of East Coast rain while driving or are the common concerns centered around the filter element being submerged or heavily splashed with water? What extended level of exposure / protection does the rain sock allow / provide, in term of splash? eg: can it handle a steady down pour of rain at 100+ mph during track use?
Is the rain sock included in the kit?

Sorry for all the questions, but besides wanting to know, I thought it would fill in some blanks for other potential users/purchasers as well!

Regards as always, Pat
Pat- Va MX5
2012 MX5 PRHT GT
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Pat

Have not seen the new intake yet.....so most of these questions we just can't answer yet. Based on the 2006-2008 version, that we daily install on 2009 to 2013 with just the use of the stock elbow needed to finish the install on NC2, the entire intake is replaced and everything you need is in the box.

Unless somebody uses the car like a 4x4 to cross rivers over a foot deep I can't imagine a threat of hydro lock. Mere splashing is not harmful, even if the sock was not on there, remember we intentionally inject water into the motors with supercharger customers.

My wife's MX5, our Project 2012, is still on stock intake.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com