2006-2014 RoadsterSport Exhaust Install

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2006 RoadsterSport Exhaust Install

Post by Brian »

Note the factory pipe sticking out of the midpipe is smaller than the flange accepting it (we use the same flange on the Q, RSII, Street Single, Race, etc). Thus, take a few minutes to line up the flanges properly (lube up the hangers good!), and it slots together perfect every time.

Had a few calls over the years with folks having issue. The error that some seem to make is that they hang the muffler and then PULL the flanges together and use the hardware to JACK the flanges together. Somehow they are then shocked that the flanges are not flat together. Note this error will happen with ANY design of flange if you use the hardware to jack the parts together. Had a customer drive all the way from Los Angeles because he was just sure that his would NOT fit together as shown here and on inspection we found dry twisted hangers pulling the thing in several directions at once....and he had jacked the flanges together with the hardware. We unbolted it, lubed the hangers real good and took maybe two minutes to get the flanges together properly....and then bolted it up perfect...same as always. Thus, a little common sense during the install, some lubed up hangers, and a torque wrench (30 ft/lbs is plenty), will do it nice and neat every time.
Attachments
factory flange apart.jpg
factory flange apart.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 24822 times
Miata factory flange together.jpg
Miata factory flange together.jpg (33.38 KiB) Viewed 24822 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Fat Broke

Post by Fat Broke »

Hey Brian, all...
2006 auto grand touring.
Installing the Sport Q at the moment, there is a 3/16" thick metal spacer between the old stock muffler and the mid-pipe, it fits around the mid pipe and is sunken a bit into the midpipe flange. It sits in between the two bolt flanges. I see no mention of that part anywhere here...?
Maybe it actually the factory gasket, it's a funny thing with an open groove on the outside edge.
Leave it in place? Discard it? I may be one of the intellectually challenged that can't seem to get the two flanges to flush up prior to installing the bolts...

It looks like I can get them to flush up with it removed, I'm guessing I remove it?

I sits and waits...

Well if I was I doctor I'd be broke, I have no patience (it's loses a bit in print). I tossed it, everything flushed up and I'm on the road.

Thanks!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That is indeed the factory gasket, we discard it (though some customers leave it in and report no issues for doing so). BUT, the risk in using just the factory gasket is that folks will apply too much torque and bend the 'ears' of the flanges together around the round factory gasket. At that point your flanges are not flat and you end up using liquid exhaust gasket maker to get a good seal.

Here is Q muffler flange with many miles of use, still nice flat flange.
Attachments
Q-flange.jpg
Q-flange.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 23298 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
gary06

Post by gary06 »

Probably a dumb question, but when installing the standard baffles in the RSII, the small end goes in first right?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That's right! I have had customers do the other way but I think it looks funny that way.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rsorrent

Post by rsorrent »

I just received my Q and will install it tomorrow. However, my friend heard somewhere that it is better to go with a new OEM gasket instead of the one you supplied. Mazda is out of stock right now, so is it ok to go with what you sent?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not sure if you are joking or not, obviously we would not supply a gasket and expect you to ignore it. We use the supplied gasket here every day for many years without issue. The potential issue with the factory gasket is that we get customer who either don't own a torque wrench or don't know how to use it properly applying too much torque and bending the muffler flange 'ears' around the factory gasket... thereby making flat flanges into curved flanges....at which point getting good seal is a challenge.

So, I am okay if you use factory gasket....as long as you use torque wrench properly.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rsorrent

Post by rsorrent »

Flex

Re: 2006-2014 RoadsterSport Exhaust Install

Post by Flex »

I recently installed the new Super-Q coupled with a PPE LTH. I appreciate how the Super-Q tames the sound from LTH header, and they perfectly fit together: the two flat flanges match without any risk to bend applying wrong torque. They only need to be carefully aligned to avoid a step on the inside, because bolts are a bit smaller than flange holes and the two flanges can slide a bit on each other.
I notice that once everything is in place, the muffler right tip sticks out almost an inch more than left tip, in fact the whole muffler is slightly "rotated" toward that side and it is visible looking at rubber hangers too: the right ones are rotated backward a bit, while the left ones forward.
Since the muffler is firmly bolted to midpipe, there is not much I can do, I tried to push the muffler/hangers with hands on right side but I just can't move it.
Should I bend the steel hangers on the muffler, enough to have it aligned with rear bumper ? Not sure it would work tho, the midpipe connection will still hold muffler in the same orientation, and not an easy task I guess, steel hangers appear rather thick and not easy to bend especially without scratching the chrome finish...
It's just an aesthetic whim, not really an issue, so I could just leave it as is.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2006-2014 RoadsterSport Exhaust Install

Post by Brian »

Hmm, with our RoadsterSport Midpipe we shorten or lengthen the assembly at the slip joint in the middle and thereby can adjust how the Q tips are aligned at the back. With the PPE you need some similar effect, and indeed I think it would be by bending hangers to get the thing to sit a bit more forward and pull that right tip forward with it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com