Quick Question About Disassembly When Installing Coilovers

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
eluviis

Quick Question About Disassembly When Installing Coilovers

Post by eluviis »

Hi, I recently took out the entire front suspension to replace the control arm bushings. After doing so, I realized I might also want to replace my current coilovers with new ones - or at least upgrade the spring rates. However, since I dissembled the entire suspension all at once, I didn't take into account trying to remove the shock by themselves. I'm curious about one thing. Assuming everything is in place, can you remove and install coilovers without disassembling any of the other parts? (wheels and brakes removed of course).

The reason I ask is because I'm considering putting the current coilovers back in to test out the new bushings and take some ride height measurements. But other than removing the wheels and brakes to make room, I don't want to have to disconnect the ball joints again to replace the shocks. If I remember correctly, the space was real tight.

So again, do you have to disconnect the ball joint(s) to make room to replace the shocks or not?
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Quick Question About Disassembly When Installing Coilove

Post by Brian »

Once the car is on coilovers you can easily get the coilovers in and out without taking them apart...or separating ball joints. In fact, when changing even full length shocks I never bother to separate the ball joints. See our shock replacement instructions under FAQ/Technical from the front page of the website.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
eluviis

Re: Quick Question About Disassembly When Installing Coilove

Post by eluviis »

Excellent. Thanks Brian.

Just went to the homepage and found the guide. Interesting... the things you can find if you dig deep enough.

This is good news for my project.
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata