Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by Brian »

Changing bushings not the answer, it just needs to get done right. You will get it done. If needed, drive a few hundred first and try again.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Bart

Post by Bart »

Very good.

Once again, thanks for the help.
Bart
Bart

Post by Bart »

Brian,

As I'm sure you well know, it's a real PITA to tork the bolts when the car is sitting on the ground. That's the way I've been doing it so far. To get more room for leverage, would it still work if the rear of the car was driven up some ramps? That way the suspension is still under load. Or does the car always have to be level to get it right?

Bart
Va MX5

Post by Va MX5 »

Hi Bart,

I just finished pulling out the rear shocks last weekend, following the same install info. No problems were encountered. Starting with the rear wheels in the air, the rear shocks in place, the bolts for the lower shock mount and the two upper links were tightened by hand using only my fingers. The car is then lowered & fully loaded by it's own weight, only then, are the bolts torqued down to spec. The trick to this stuff is getting under a fully weighted car to tighten the bolts. The easiest way for me is to lower all 4 car tires down onto 4 equal sized blocks, 12 inches high, and then get under the car to do the work. Yes, all 4 corners /tires are sitting on these bolcks during the procedure. Safety is the 1st concern, so find the right type of bolcks for the job. I use 12 inch wheel cribs, made by RaceRamps for this type of work. Good luck, you can do this, if I could.

Regards, Pat
Pat- Va MX5
2012 MX5 PRHT GT
Bart

Post by Bart »

Thanks Pat, very helpful.

Now to locate these blocks you speak of....
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Bart wrote:Great pics of the project car. Now, how do you remove the chrome around the front grill? I think all black would have a sportier look.

Thanks
I missed this until now. There is likely a way to do it...but I have not tried it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Bart wrote:Great pics of the project car. Now, how do you remove the chrome around the front grill? I think all black would have a sportier look.

Thanks
If you have an NC2, you could swap in a Sport/SV grill. Alternately, I've seen some people cover the chrome with vinyl, paint, or plasti-dip.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

I plastdipped mine more than a year ago and it still looks perfect.
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Bart

Post by Bart »

Brian,

Do you ever intend to try Koni Sports on the 2012 PRHT project? I'll bet I'm not the only one that would like to see what the outcome is.

Thanks
Bart
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, have thought about it....but the wife loves the car as it is on the Bilsteins currently....and I must admit it is really in a sweet spot right now, balance and handling and power are all great.

So, at least until the Bilsteins get a bit longer in the tooth I don't think I can convince her of the 'need' to try something else.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com