RoadsterSport 3 too loud for me.

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
VAmiata99

RoadsterSport 3 too loud for me.

Post by VAmiata99 »

I recently replaced the stock exhaust on my '99 NB with the complete RoadsterSport 3 system, midpipe, cat and muffler box from Goodwin. I also have the RacingBeat headers. Initially, I had the K&N intake in place and no muffler baffle, so the front end and back end were about as open as you can get on a street vehicle. The increase in power was significant, but the car was ridiculously loud on acceleration. In an effort to quiet things down a bit, I installed the exhaust baffle and went back to the stock air intake box, without any noticable loss of power. Unfortunately, the sound is still way too loud on acceleration or when the car is pulling uphill.

Help, Brian! How can I lower the overall decibel level and keep a milder yet still sporty sound? Must I admit I made a mistake and replace the entire RS3 system with the old stock system? Or is there a a quieter muffler box available that would fit the rest of the RS3 system?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: RoadsterSport 3 too loud for me.

Post by Brian »

Do me a little test. Sometimes what folks are hearing is partially the exhaust, and partially noise coming up through the pan of the trunk. And the more aggressive setup can make that trunk area act like a speaker. Here is the test, stuff the trunk for a day with some large blankets, or a big sleeping bag if you have it. Does that make a difference on the sound? IF SO, then get some dynamat or competing product and use it on the metal at the bottom of the trunk under the carpet. The factory does a little bit of this for us, but sometimes some more really helps.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
VAmiata99

Post by VAmiata99 »

Thanks, I will try this and get back to you in a couple weeks.
VAmiata99

Post by VAmiata99 »

Brain,

Stuffing the trunk full of blankets and pillows did help to dampen the drone on cruising to a tolerable level. Unfortunately, it's the loud "bladda, bladda, bladda . . " on acceleration or just pulling up a hill out of my neighborhood that is anoying the neighbors and the wife. Stuffing the trunk does not diminish this noise.

As much as I hate to scrap the RoadsterSport 3 muffler box, is there a quieter muffler that can be fitted to the rest of my RS3 system? Or would I have to scrap the cat and the midpipe as well? I know it would diminish the performance enhancements gained by the header, but I am willing to accept that to keep the peace.

Thanks,

VAmiata99
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The only system that is more quiet is our Racing Beat with standard connecting pipe....and their flange positions are not compatible with any other brand.

Note we do have the packed baffle option too, looks like a rifle silencer. It does compromise some of the top end performance but it also does cut sound.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
VAmiata99

Post by VAmiata99 »

Thanks, so what parts do I need to convert to the quieter system? I have the Racing Beat header and the combo Roadster Sport 3 (cat, mid pipe and muffler box).
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You need the RB standard connecting pipe for your year, and the RB muffler.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com