Slave Cylinder Problem, Need Help

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Nate Horne

Slave Cylinder Problem, Need Help

Post by Nate Horne »

Hi Brian,
I am about finished with the 2.5 swap, but have one problem that I can't figure out. My slave cylinder rod does not give enough through with the slave rod to disengage the clutch. This makes it to where I can not get the car into gear when the engine is running.

The current setup is 2.5 manual engine from 2010 Mazda3, lightweight Fidanza flwheel from GWR, stock clutch, 2.0 starter, 6-speed transmission, and slave cylinder replacement from GWR.

I have bleed the system numerous times and the transmission shop where my car now resides says there is no air in the system. Additionally they have noted how the slave rod gives about about 3/4 inch less travel than needed to the clutch fork. They used a prybar on the clutch fork to move it an additional 3/4 inch and that causes it to shift into gear fine.

I have verified that the flywheel and clutch are torqued down, greased the TO bearing, and additionally looked inside the bellhousing and didn't see any wear or damage on the input shaft, TO bearing, or clutch fork. Also, the bellhousing is perfectly mated to the block. I even did the clutch travel adjustment so that the master rod is in the most extended position to allow for the most movement from the master.

I have tried about everything I know to do. I have posted in the other forum and not received many responses so I was hoping that maybe you have ran into this problem before and if not just seeing if you have any ideas about solutions or things to try. Thanks for any feedback you and others on the forum might have.
-Nate
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Slave Cylinder Problem, Need Help

Post by Brian »

Honestly I don't know...but I will ask Rocky, head best Miata mechanic around here and see if he knows on this one....I know we didn't have any issue like this on 2.5 conversion we just did on our Project Blue 2006. Rocky's response below:

Your 2.5 Swap & Brandon's 2.5 Swap I had absolutely no issues with the clutch issue he is talking about. I don't think the engine swap is the problem. Must be problem in clutch bellhousing area. Clutch disc backwards possibly. What clutch set up... do you know?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Nate Horne

Re: Slave Cylinder Problem, Need Help

Post by Nate Horne »

Thanks Brian, I am using a stock clutch and pressure plate. I am also sure about friction disc placement (flat side against flywheel and bulging side facing pressure plate). Anyways I am going to do some more adjusting of the master cylinder rod as I now think that might be the issue. I will report back Monday.
-Nate