Header Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC Header Installation

Post by Brian »

Additional tips courtesy of Customer Todd Record

Tips for installation that either weren't in the instructions or that I didn't see in the forum. My apologies if these comments are in the forum and I missed them. Some comments may be worth repeating.
1. Install the header without the lower (after-cat) oxygen sensor. Install the oxygen sensor after the header is installed. Both oxygen sensors are easily accessible after the header is installed.
2. Buy the slotted deep socket oxygen sensor installation tool at the auto parts store. It is a generic oxygen sensor installation tool and sells for $9 at Advanced Auto.
3. The pigtail on the upper (pre-cat) oxygen sensor is 2-3 inches too short to reach the wire harness receptacle. You can pull the receptacle from the mount bracket and it will reach, but I prefer using a short extension.
4. MOST IMPORTANT!!! Do not struggle to start the bolts that connect the mid-pipe to the header. I had to repair damaged threads on both the bolt and the header flange from numerous unsuccessful attempts to install the bolts late at night when I was tired and not thinking straight. The next day, I disconnected the muffler from the mid-pipe to free up the mid-pipe so it could be re-positioned to align the through-holes on the mid-pipe with the threaded-holes on the header flange. I installed the first bolt and then used a jack to support the mid-pipe and gently raise it bit by bit until the second hole was aligned correctly. Align the hole in the mid-pipe as closely as possible to the hole in the header flange so the bolt can go in straight. There is very little room for error. Note: I was so frustrated before disconnecting the muffler that I even tried connecting the mid-pipe before hanging the header on the seven mount studs but it was quickly learned that would never happen. Install the header first, then disconnect the muffler, then connect the mid-pipe to the header, then re-connect the muffler to the mid-pipe.
5. Hang in there. There was one killer bolt that I worked on for about an hour before it finally broke loose. I could only get access with a quarter-inch drive socket wrench and I pushed on it with all I could given the short handle. I could do this install in half the time knowing what I know from the first install. Would I ever do it again? Last week I swore I would never do it again, but I would...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

StephenW571 wrote:Thanks Brian.
As posted earlier I am following closely your super street project for Andi's car as my funds permit.
I'm just missing the front brace and mid pipe at the moment on mine
I read on the thread that you did do a motoeast tune after all the exhaust mods.
I'm wondering if a motoeast tune at would be money well spent or not.
I'd value your advice on the tune
Many thanks
Steve :D

I have actually done a first round of reflash on my wife's car now, and gains were ZERO.....except it removed the 2nd gear hesitation that many of the 6speeds have built in (Mazda was apparently afraid folks would get scared with full immediate throttle chirps in 2nd gear in the short geared 6speed trans and limited full throttle application...which you really notice once that is removed). Mazda included a built in O2 wideband and the car should tune well to the new setup, and sometimes it will, and sometimes it won't. My wife's car tuned itself really well, but many others do not seem to adjust as well. So, the need for the reflash, and results of the reflash....will vary car to car.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Great, thanks Brian.
My car has had no trouble relearning with the wide band o2 sensor so far with the header and muffler. I therefore expect when I do the mid pipe it too will cope again.
Interesting on the 2nd gear hesitation. I have felt this too and thought maybe it was just me.
:D
StephenW571

Re: NC Midpipe installation

Post by StephenW571 »

Hi Brian
Am about to purchase the your midpipe with cat to complete my exhaust upgrade all the way through.
I have read the threads about the slip joint being our friend etc.
However, how is the slip joint sealed?
Is there a clamp provided in the kit and / or do we need to put some exhaust sealer putty on that slip joint and if so what product is recommended?

Thanks
Steve
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes...big burly clamp provided to lock that midpipe slip joint once you get it where you want it....nothing else needed.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Great. Thks. Midpipe ordered already.
Zoom zoom :D
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Mid pipe now installed and real easy to do.
The car seems to have settled in with it and likes it too.
Am real pleased.
IMHO for those out there considering this mod, go do it.
MatthewS989

Post by MatthewS989 »

So how exactly should you go about getting the very first heat shield mentioned in this post off? I can't get any wrench under it to the bolts. Or the side one that's connected to the firewall. Literally the first thing to do in the install and I'm having trouble. Any suggestions please?
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Use a socket on extension rods and access from undeneath the car
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I get it from above with wobble socket
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com