06 MX5 solo nationals STR setup

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
elloco54

06 MX5 solo nationals STR setup

Post by elloco54 »

I plan to make a run at the solo nationals in STR next year. My current setup has done very well at local and a divisional solo. But I know there is more in the car. What I have now is motoeast intake & tune,complete max power exhaust,IL motor mounts and the M3 sport roll bar. On the suspension side it's H&R springs, Bilstein sport shocks, Hotchkis sways and FCM bump stops. Right now I'm running 17x8 wheels and 225/45-17 RS3's. My planned upgrades are 17x9 with 255/40, the GW chassis braces and powerflex bushings. Here is where I'm undecided, swap the bilsteins for koni's or bite the bullet for the Ohlins coilovers. I know there are alot of advantages with coilovers and from my research the Ohlins seem to be the only real choice in coilovers,but is there enough of an advantage over my current setup with the addition of adjustable Koni's to warrant the extra expense.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 06 MX5 solo nationals STR setup

Post by Brian »

YES...you need coilovers. Not competitive in STR with national level drivers without good coilovers that include the ability to precisely control height and corner balance the car with your weight in the car, etc.

Skip the braces and use those funds toward the coilovers. The braces make the car feel solid and new...and though feedback to the driver is improved, and NVH is reduced, with the possible exception of the toe links the braces don't make the car faster (any improvement in speed marginal compared with the benefit of the coilovers).

Yes, 17x9 Enkei RP-F1 with 255/40/17
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BrianC3343

Post by BrianC3343 »

elloco54,

I would also suggest that you do a thorough reading of the rules. In particular rules regarding what bracing can be added or deleted and roll over protection. I am not sure exactly which roll bar you have, but it may not meet the rules for SCCA solo racing for fore and aft bracing.

Also Brian is spot on about his comment about coilovers. For a nationally competitive car a good set of coilovers is next on the list after wheels and tires.

Brian Clemons
Portland, Oregon
2006 Mazda MX5, Prepped for STR
Viggen

Post by Viggen »

Would the off the shelf standard Ohlins work for him or would he need to consider a setup with different spring rates and valving?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Ryan Otis drove to 6th overall at 2012 Nationals... and set top STR time on the West course... on the off-the-shelf Ohlins.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BrianC3343

Post by BrianC3343 »

The valving was off the shelf on Morris's car, but the spring rates were changed. Morris would have to verify, but I am almost certain springs are 9kg front, 7 kg rear.

Brian C.
2006 Mazda MX5, Prepped for STR
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

BrianC3343 wrote:The valving was off the shelf on Morris's car, but the spring rates were changed. Morris would have to verify, but I am almost certain springs are 9kg front, 7 kg rear.

Brian C.
Good point, that is my recollection too.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

Roll bar is not required for STR but mine is legal for track days with a the petty bar installed. So Brian can you go 9kg/7kg without a revalve.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You can do those rates without a revalve, most coilvers can handle a push of 2kg in rates, but the revalve will give you better control over those rates.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Yes, factory Ohlins valving with 9kg front Swifts and 7kg tapered Tein rear springs on the car. And Ryan coned away his fastest West course time which would have placed him 4th overall.

Morris