Question about Racing beat Exhaust for NB miata

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Chikane

Question about Racing beat Exhaust for NB miata

Post by Chikane »

Hello Goodwin Racing,

I just purchased my 2002 NB miata recently, and I'm alittle confused about how to get the car to be legal. I live in a CARB state Maryland, And I'm hoping that you can tell me if the Racing Beat or any other product you recommend would work for an exhaust set up. I also understand that the NB miata has some weird built in cat or o2 sensor that has to be moved around? and you can't just bolt things on like other cars. Can you recommend an easy exhaust setup and items that has to be purchase for my car to be good for Auto Cross on weekends, and still be CARB street legal for Maryland.

Also my car has about 170K miles on it, do you recommend a change of shocks and springs? or a coil over set up is the better choice? I'm looking to run your Konig Dial In wheels in 15X8

Thank you,

Chikane

P.S. Please excuse my English it's my second language lol
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Question about Racing beat Exhaust for NB miata

Post by Brian »

Welcome. You can pick whatever muffler you like, but for CARB purposes cannot change the header if concerned about staying CARB legal on that 2002. We do have a CARB legal RoadsterSport Midpipe to match our RoadsterSport exhaust for a 2002.

The issues with moving around the O2 sensors are really an issue for 99-00 year Miata that has converter in the header in the California versions in addition to second converter in midpipe. Your 2002 does not have that issue, just one converter in the midpipe. Thus, you would not need extension cords if you changed the header....but changing the header would still not be CARB legal.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chikane

Post by Chikane »

Hi Brian,

So I can purchase any muffler and it will just bolt on? I don't have to worry about changing anything else? I'm just confused because racing beat website mentions something about moving the o2. But from your answer it means that I don't have to do anything because it's a 2002 model Am I correct? yes I'm not looking to get a header anytime soon so if I don't install a header I should pass CARB emissions test. Thank you

Chikane
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, you can install any muffler you want, simple bolt on, just 2 bolts....and you don't get anywhere near the O2 sensors that are about 6 feet further up the system.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RobertT263

Post by RobertT263 »

I installed a Racing Beat Muffler in my previous Miata year 2002 and really loved the sound not to loud or any drone on the highway. Have purchased a Roadster Sport Super-Q Muffler for my new 2013 Mx along with Progress Technologies Anti Sway bar and a K & N Panel Filter. Trying to get the 2013 to feel and sound more like the 2002 did as it also had adjust. shocks and cold air intake. As I do not drive the car in winter (live in Canada) it will be a couple of months before I install and drive, will update then.
nova99sport

Post by nova99sport »

I have a 99 with the stock header and midpipe with the roadster sport 3 muffler. This muffler looks amazing and the sound is great in my opinion. No raspy Honda sounds here, more like a baby e type with some burble and lower tones and very aggressive under acceleration. I would buy this muffler again any day over other ones I've heard on stock nb's over the years.