Best Spring for MSM Shocks

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Chikane

Best Spring for MSM Shocks

Post by Chikane »

I recently bought a set of Bilstiens that were taken from a Mazda Speed Miata. I'm running them on my NB2 with Advanti Storms 15X8 with 205/50/15, I haven't put any of the components on the car and I was wondering what would be a good suspension spring for these MSM shocks? The factory setting for these shocks only lower the car 7mm. I was hoping to lower it to about an inch.

Can you recomend me any springs for the set up I'm looking for? The car is mostly daily driven with weekly weekend autocross.

Thank you
Sean @ GWR

Re: Best Spring for MSM Shocks

Post by Sean @ GWR »

Mazdaspeed Bilsteins make an excellent candidate for using a Ground Control coilover conversion kit. If you keep the spring rates on the more mild side you'll have quality double duty set up.

-Sean
Chikane

Post by Chikane »

Ground controls?, so you wouldn't recommend something like the Eibach or H&R? can you describe to me how the ground control would work? I'm new to Miata and to cars Thank you. I'm thinking they just slip on like other springs but you can adjust damper rates? Lastly do you sell these Ground controls? which one do you recommend.
Sean @ GWR

Post by Sean @ GWR »

In this case, I would recommend utilizing these http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 68SSB.html for your shocks. Not only do they allow you to adjust the ride height but the spring rates are much better for the factory valving of the Mazdaspeed Bilsteins (which are non-adjustable dampening). The installation of these sleeves is a little more involved than a simple spring swap as it requires you removing the factory spring pirch.
Chikane

Post by Chikane »

Would it be possible for you to show me the installation instructions for these? I'm interested and I think it seems like a great setup with the wheels and tires. At 15X8 205/50/15 Advanti and this set up will I need to do anything to the fenders? Roll it or it will likely clear and I can get the ride height of about 1 inch drop.

Thank you for all the help
Sean @ GWR

Post by Sean @ GWR »

If you have an NB, generally you can get away with 1.5* of camber and not need to roll. However, with a slight roll you will be able to lower the car further. On MiataTurbo.net there is an excellent write up about how to do the coilover installation.

http://www.miataturbo.net/suspension-br ... ead-78451/