SUPERCHARGED NC Racer Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Freescopesdad

Re: SEMA SHOW....NC COSWORTH SUPERCHARGER COMPLETE!

Post by Freescopesdad »

We are also turning this car back to fast street machine
What is the secret to getting a car like this smogged in California?
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

My understanding is that Oscar Jackson is working on the CARB for this kit, he is the best man for the job. In the meantime, a little known fact is that many areas of California are smog exempt and I am lucky enough to have a house in one of those areas.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

Brian wrote:My understanding is that Oscar Jackson is working on the CARB for this kit, he is the best man for the job. In the meantime, a little known fact is that many areas of California are smog exempt and I am lucky enough to have a house in one of those areas.
Mind = Blown.

Which counties require a smog inspection for the registration renewal: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

that's it, I'm moving to riverside.
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

I called Jackson Racing and whoever answered knew of no attempts to get the Cosworth CARB approved for the NC. They did say that their long term goal was CARB approval for the Rotrex, which surprised me.

In the meantime, please adopt me so I can register my Miata at your house. Don't worry, I won't live there. :mrgreen:
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Freescopesdad wrote:I called Jackson Racing and whoever answered knew of no attempts to get the Cosworth CARB approved for the NC. They did say that their long term goal was CARB approval for the Rotrex, which surprised me.

In the meantime, please adopt me so I can register my Miata at your house. Don't worry, I won't live there. :mrgreen:
That would be because Jackson Racing has nothing to do with the Cosworth supercharger kit. Entirely different hardware and brands.

In terms of the hardware, the biggest difference between kits is that Jackson Racing is working with a Rotrex centrifugal blower, whereas this Cosworth kit uses an Eaton roots-type blower. Big difference in the nature of the power delivery between the two, and the Cosworth kit will make much more torque in the low and mid-range, making it the kit to have for anyone autocrossing or looking for more oomph for the street.

-Ryan
Last edited by Ryan @ GWR on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes...not a JR company project.

OSCAR Jackson Senior... told me at Laguna event that he was helping on the CARB, and he just happens to have a ranch in Colorado.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Fender flares not installed yet...but this is the most it has looked like a real 'regular' car in a few years...

Still such a badass Miata!

We added a serious front lip to the MazdaSpeed nose for some decent downforce.
Attachments
Supercharged-XP-MX5.jpg
Supercharged-XP-MX5.jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 17767 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Heat Exchanger Replacement and Upgrade!

The heat exchanger included in the kit was oversized already for 99% of customers. I know that posting this upgrade will mean that customers just driving the car back and forth to work will start calling me to ask how much benefit they would get with this upgrade...BUT PLEASE READ ME LITERALLY HERE, YOU DO NOT NEED IT.

Our car here is exceptional, it uses a much smaller 2.7 pulley and it has much more aerodynamic drag because of the big fender flares used to cover the monster wheels and tires used for autocross events. And we visit HOT tracks with LONG straights. The result is that, unlike most all the customers I know for this kit, we put enough constant load that when not using meth/water injection we heat soak the intercooler and cause a steady rise in coolant temp that keeps rising with each lap at tracks that require LONG...LONG.....LONG...applications of boost. Best example here in California is Auto Club Speedway....where the front NASCAR straight can mean about 30 seconds of constant boost! After three laps we watched the temperature climb and climb. Most customers are never going to put this kind of load on the system, but we do. However, now and then a customer calls to report they busted the heat exchanger included in the kit in a fender bender, or from a big rocking coming through the nose, and they need a replacement. Similarly, we both need a bit more cooling because of our exceptional use....AND our car got backed into at an SCCA event and my original exchanger is bent and twisted.

So, if like me you need to replace it anyway, and could perhaps use the upgrade, here is a very interesting option. After hunting and hunting around we found this unit ..and it is a near perfect match in measurements for our original unit.... except it is double the core thickness. We are working on the brackets so we can offer a plug and play kit, should be on our site by sometime in May 2016.

Picture on top of BOTH pictures below is the original kit heat exchanger next to the upgrade double thick replacement. Notice that in terms of configuration they look like twins with hookups on the same side and same location so you don't need to re-route hoses! New unit is 2 inch core instead of 1 inch core original, so about DOUBLE the capacity of the original. I feel fortunate to have found such an ideal replacement on specs so we share the news here for those needing the info later.

Cosworth-HEAT-Exchanger.jpg
Cosworth-HEAT-Exchanger.jpg (144.06 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Exchanger.jpg
And Installed. Ryan 'the Pass' Passey did a nice fab job on some aluminum brackets to make the result clean and easy.
Coolin-updates2.jpg
Coolin-updates2.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Cooling-Mods.jpg
Cooling-Mods.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Original pump has gone a bit weak with wear, so we added a second of the same original Bosch intercooler pumps. Did that after looking at all the more powerful upgrades available, and decided instead on the redundancy of having two pumps in the system for more flow and was also the most cost effective choice.
multipleintercoolerpumps.jpg
multipleintercoolerpumps.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 17123 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As you can just barely see above, Rocky sneaked an oil cooler for extra protection and cooling.
Cooling-Mods-OIL-Cooler.jpeg
Cooling-Mods-OIL-Cooler.jpeg (69.93 KiB) Viewed 17616 times

Also upgraded the fan. The NC has just one 14 inch cooling fan. I already owned this 16 inch SPAL fan setup, it came off one of our dedicated track cars and makes a nice upgrade here and air can flow more cleanly through the nose and our various coolers and up through the fan and out our Singular vented hood. Moved the battery out of the way to passenger side ahead of brake unit (where normally there is container for window washer fluid but we took the wipers off this car years ago anyway!). Stock plastic fan at bottom of this entry for comparison.
Attachments
SPAL-Fan.jpg
SPAL-Fan.jpg (83.42 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Fan-OEM.jpg
Fan-OEM.jpg (141.94 KiB) Viewed 17616 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

And finally put all back together!

Finally gets us some good shots of our new Singular Hood Vents.
Attachments
MX5-SS.jpg
MX5-SS.jpg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 17537 times
MX5-Supercharged-cosworth.jpg
MX5-Supercharged-cosworth.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 17537 times
MX5-Supercharged-Hood-Vents.jpg
MX5-Supercharged-Hood-Vents.jpg (106.05 KiB) Viewed 17537 times
Cosworth-Supercharged-MX5s.jpg
Cosworth-Supercharged-MX5s.jpg (137.27 KiB) Viewed 17537 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com