A/C Removal

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
e4tnu

A/C Removal

Post by e4tnu »

I have a 2009 5 speed Roadster Coupe. I had the Air Con re-gased about 2 months ago, all was fine up until last week, but I think I have developed a leak on the system. When AC is turned on there seems to be a slight hissing sound coming from behind the glove box beneath the dash. Now when Air Con is turned on, there is no hiss and the Air Con compressor clutch doesn't engage, and no cold air coming out of the vents. Although the air blower/fan still works. Is it possible to remove the Air Con compressor and put a smaller belt on whilst leaving all of the redundant AC lines and hoses in place? Because of the difficulty in removing all of the dash to get to the AC and blower unit, if they are left in place and not working will this cause any future problems with AC line corrosion, and the fact that the AC compressor clutch isn't doing anything?

How much weight saving would there be in removing the complete Air Conditioning system?

Thanks