Goodwin racing mx5 motor mounts

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ShannonK567

Goodwin racing mx5 motor mounts

Post by ShannonK567 »

I was wondering if putting a set of these on will add any vibration.
Zadnak

Re: Goodwin racing mx5 motor mounts

Post by Zadnak »

It will, it will add a LOT of vibration for about 2 months. The break in period of 500 to 1000 miles isn't too bad, but I still me my dash physically shaking, but hardly makes any noise. I'm about 1000 miles in at this point.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We should differentiate which mounts we are looking at.

Our competition rubber mounts below allow much less deflection than stock mounts and you won't notice much change at all in engine vibration.

Our other mounts, like these EPDM mounts, or our AWR mounts, both of which are complete replacements will add significant vibrations. They will break-in but even after break-in expect dash vibs, particularly at idle. Note some customers will install just ONE of these with standard mount or our harder rubber mounts above to keep the vibrations to minimum. My personal choice is the harder rubber mounts above for street cars that only autocross for fun, and the serious full replacement mounts below for the hardcore track machines only.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ShannonK567

Post by ShannonK567 »

Yea I'm talking about your competition rubber mounts. Thanks for the information.
arny56

Post by arny56 »

I've had the ILM rubber competition mounts in my car for about 2500 miles now and can tell you they do increase vibration, but not excessively. My hood doesn't shake, my dash doesn't rattle, but if I leave loose change in the console it does jingle. I feel some vibration when starting the car and idling, but it's not obnoxious and kind of makes the car seem as if it's come alive.
On the other hand shifting has improved greatly, third gear is no longer a mystery during hard acceleration, and drive trane slack during acceleration and deceleration has been significantly reduced.
One side benefit of the harder mounts that I wasn't expecting has been more consistent clutch engagement. It's now much easier to to start in first gear then before.
I would not hesitate to recommend these mounts to anyone interested in performance driving, but if your interest is mainly comfort and cruising they may not be for you.
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

I wish I had done this upgrade sooner! Everything "arny56" said I have noticed immediately. The largest vibration I noticed is a larger engine drone over 4000 rpm. The biggest benefit is that I can access first gear without double clutching - imagine that, the transmission has synchros. :)

Overall, the very modest vibration increase is similar to the increased harshness from average coilovers.
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob
Traum

Post by Traum »

Brian wrote:Our competition rubber mounts below allow much less deflection than stock mounts and you won't notice much change at all in engine vibration.

Hello Brian,

Would you please comment on whether the Mazda competition rubber mounts are sufficient for track use as well as autox? I use my NC1 as an all-purpose vehicle, and the driving it sees is roughly divided into the following:

40% street driving
40% autox -- 2 to 4 autox events each month, less often in the winter
20% track use -- roughly 5 - 8 track days a year

Especially for autox use, the ability to shift under high engine load from 2nd to 3rd gear is quite important for me since our local venue lends itself to that kind of higher speed course design.

I have been running some AWR mounts for the past 5 years :shock: and I think they are finally giving up the ghost after all the abuse I have put them through. If possible, I'd like to go with something less jarring this time around since I'd prefer to chauffeur the missus in slightly more comfort -- funny how this wasn't a consideration at the time when I first installed the AWR mounts :? . However, performance is important, so the Mazda rubber mounts is still gonna give me trouble with that 2nd-to-3rd upshift at the autox, I will give the EPDM mounts some more thoughts.
What God has united, let men not divide.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, our hard rubber competition mounts are good enough. I run them in our 2.5 conversion 'Project Blue' that I do take to autocross and track, have not yet missed a shift from 2nd to 3rd with those. They may not be quite as crisp on the shift precision as the solid mounts but they are SO MUCH more nice to live with in a daily driver and like I just said, have not missed a shift yet in competition with them.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Traum

Post by Traum »

Thank you for the reply, Brian. That is fantastic to hear! Please look forward to an order soon. :)
What God has united, let men not divide.