Exedy Happy meal clutch missing parts

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
bluemeany

Exedy Happy meal clutch missing parts

Post by bluemeany »

just got a exedy happy meal clutch and the flywheel is missing the alignment dowels. The instructions say explicitly to not install without alignment dowels. Removal of the dowels out of the factory flywheel without chewing them up is near impossible.
I searched the internet for some dowels and came up with $45 for the requisite 3. Are we supposed to to have to go through this?

the description for the happy meal said " Kit comes complete with everything you need for installation including Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Throw Out Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Clutch Alignment Tool. Fits 6 Speed Only."

Please help. Car is apart and I'm at a stand still til this is resolved
Adam D
Blue NC
http://thebluemeany.blogspot.com/
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Exedy Happy meal clutch missing parts

Post by Brian »

Don't think I have seen one without the dowels but the way to get response is email us picture of what you got because Monday morning that's the first thing that Exedy will ask for, is the pics. So, please reply to your email receipt with those pics so we can chase that down with them on Monday.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
bluemeany

Post by bluemeany »

here's a shot of the new Exedy flywheel without the dowels

GWR order ref GWX7666

I decided to extract the dowels out of the stock flywheel, first I started with vise grips and prying which only chewed up the dowels, then I found a method on the internet that worked, except for the broken hammer.

So I bought another hammer, and got them all out

after hand filing all the maring so as to not damage the area of the pin that gets seated in the flywheel, they got pressed into the flywheel. then the clutch was installed

Is this what Exedy intends for the buyer to do?
Adam D
Blue NC
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It's not what Exedy intends, don't think I have seen a flywheel where they forgot to include those....but nice job getting it done. I will have my wife add a membership award on your account for the extra trouble here.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
bluemeany

Post by bluemeany »

Thanks, figured this was an abnormalmality. What a pain.

Clutch is great though.
Adam D
Blue NC
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Maybe next time something like this would be a better bet?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-dowel-pins/=zfrx12
bluemeany

Post by bluemeany »

indeed, missed the metric varietal the first time I looked. Looks like it would only have been $10 plus the shipping going that route.

still though...
Adam D
Blue NC
Nuvolari

Post by Nuvolari »

Hi

What happened with MiataSpeedSport clutches? There's no longer available. I'm planning to buy one this summer but there no any information and their web-site isn't active :cry: :cry: :cry:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The SpeedSport clutches just too expensive to continue to make for the Miata market. Add something like 27 CNC machining steps in production and expensive carbon materials process and maker figured out they were actually losing money on each one we sold. Prices needed to go up a few more HUNDRED for the item to actually make money. Sadly, we looked at the numbers and figured out we didn't have enough customers for a clutch north of $1500 retail to keep it in production given min number of units needed to justify continued production.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

Brian wrote:The SpeedSport clutches just too expensive to continue to make for the Miata market. Add something like 27 CNC machining steps in production and expensive carbon materials process and maker figured out they were actually losing money on each one we sold. Prices needed to go up a few more HUNDRED for the item to actually make money. Sadly, we looked at the numbers and figured out we didn't have enough customers for a clutch north of $1500 retail to keep it in production given min number of units needed to justify continued production.
Wow, that's too bad. I was hoping they'd make one for the 2016 Miata. I LOVED the one I had in the DP car.

Ron