Trunk leaks galore! Can't figure one out!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
NickW353

Trunk leaks galore! Can't figure one out!

Post by NickW353 »

I bought my 2006 grand touring in April. I have loved every moment of owning it thus far except for one. I have had numerous trunk leaks and can't find one now.

Leaks locations: third brake light, mazda speed spoiler from the adhesive cracking and getting in through the holes drilled into the trunk, loose antenna assembly, and the rear tail lights. All of these have been fixed properly and no longer leak.

The one I can't find anything on anywhere is coming from somewhere along a body panel seam I can't fully track.

With all the plastic molding interior removed, there are two seams (1 each side) that run along the roof of the interior trunk.
Outside looking in to show location of channel
Outside looking in to show location of channel
From the tail lamps straight back towards the mounting for the base of the trunk lid struts. I think they go past that point but to where.

How is it possible that I have water run down that "channel" towards the tail lamps and around the interior body panel of the tail lamps and onto the sides of the raised portion of the trunk floor.
From interior view of tail lamp showing route of water
From interior view of tail lamp showing route of water
Lastly this leak is noticed after rain, and washing. Haven't noticed a difference if its from alot of water running on the soft top, or just hitting the trunk lid area.
ourly

Re: Trunk leaks galore! Can't figure one out!

Post by ourly »

Your drains are clogged, go on miatanet and search posts about drain cleaning. (Or google)
NickW353

Re: Trunk leaks galore! Can't figure one out!

Post by NickW353 »

Thank you for the reply however my drains are not clogged. I clean them 2 times a week. I work in a small garage and am meticulous with maintenance and cleaning of my car due to its my daily driver. I see a ton of unfortunate ones that come through that aren't taken care of and refuse to let mine get that way.

I'm thinking it's the Frankenstein bolts at this point it's about the only thing I haven't checked.