which tires for c/street?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DavidM938

which tires for c/street?

Post by DavidM938 »

just got a 2103 club sport, dd but plan on auto crossing and will be staying in c/street while under warranty. what 200 rate tires are the best? also, anyone running a different front bar? RB vs progress? would like to hear from other club owners. thanks david m in nashville
Brian
Site Admin

Re: which tires for c/street?

Post by Brian »

Find the Youtube videos for our customer Jeff Cawthorne, he is using our Progress Front sway and the super hot RE71R tires and making the top of the PAX at events already with his ND (even without the Koni SPORT shocks coming in the new season). Link to his video below for today. You will also find his various tire comparisons when he was racing an NC in STR and testing the Dunlop vs the Rivals, etc. In brief...that Bridgestone RE71R is the hot ticket right now, it's as sticky as a Hoosier with 40 treadwear, the alleged 200 treadwear is total BS and the SCCA will need to figure out some rule change around BS treadwear ratings but in the meantime that's the fast 200 treadwear tire.

https://youtu.be/P6GFalZeMiM
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DavidM938

Post by DavidM938 »

thanks for that link. i know you liked the progress bars on the 2012 of your wife's but does just the front bar (for c/street) cause too much understeer or is it worth it? Also, I'm inclined to keep the bilsteins unless there is overriding reasons to go to the Konis. any advise? thanks David in Nashville
mazdaracerchick

Post by mazdaracerchick »

Once you add the front sway you will want the adjustable shocks so you can dial the balance right....you would have too much understeer using the bilstein with any front sway upgrade. That's why the fast guys in class run KONI and our FCM stops and either or RB or Progress front sway.
DavidM938

Post by DavidM938 »

happy new year to all! finally picked up my new ride, 2013 club prht 6sm black, excited about upgrades! first thing is to replace the crappy tires (30k miles on car) using the stock 7" rims. eventually some 17 x 8"s and re 71r's but for now, looking for the best street tires. car won't be driven in the little snow we get in nashville as I have a truck for bad weather. I've been reading as many reviews as I can and like the michelin pilot super sports. can I run 215/45/17"s on the 7" rims for better road comfort, and eventually put that size on the 17 x 8 when I buy the rims this spring? (the re71s would be the dedicated autocross tire (for c/street need the oem 7'S, right?) anybody else have these pilots? thanks and will be getting exhaust soon, too. pics coming! dave m nashville
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, can run 215/45/17 for a bit more comfort on the 7 inch and then max their performance potential in the spring by putting them on 8 inch wide.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jpwfz6

Post by jpwfz6 »

Hi DavidM,
Congrats on your new ride.
I have been running 215/45/17 Michelin PSS on the stock 7" rims since July of 2014.
I have absolutely no complaints about ride comfort (further helped by the Koni adjustable shocks), or noise levels. Very quiet, comfortable tires with excellent grip. I also got to do hot laps at Laguna Seca at the 2014 MRLS event. Although they aren't an all-out track tire, they are an excellent performance-oriented compromise on a daily driver. The tires had more grip than I had courage. Get a good alignment and you should be very satisfied with that setup. As for wear, I have 15,000 miles on them so far and probably still have 60% tread left.
Jason W, Victoria,BC, Canada
Jason
Victoria, BC Canada
:( Sold: 2006 Winning Blue, 2.5L, Progress springs, KYB shocks, Michelin PSS, Full GWR street exhaust.
:D Current: 2017 Fiat 124 Abarth, Rosso red, M/T, Progress springs, Wilwood BBK, Full GWR exhaust
DavidM938

Post by DavidM938 »

hi Brian and Jason,
Thanks for the replies. It's good to get confirmation on the ideas that seem good, but that I have no experience in. A new alignment is next, as soon as the tires get installed. Based on several threads, I'm seeing recommendations of 1.3-1.5 neg camber max caster and zero toe for best street performance with stock ride height. Is this a good starting point? thanks for your advise. Jason, I'm envious of your experience at Laguna Seca. Hope to get there someday!
DavidM Nashville
DavidM938

Post by DavidM938 »

looking forward to first autocross in a few weeks here in the south have a newbie question about set up with a bone stock car(2013 club 6m prht). what does the "DSC/TC" actually do as opposed to the rather vague explanation in the owners manual? Do I turn it off when racing? Also, since I have gone up one size on the tires (to 215/45/17 Pilots) I have noticed the increased "looseness" in the steering since I'm still on the stock 7" rims. What changes to tires pressures will help this? Do I go up on pressures both front and rear, or just front? Thanks david m in nashville
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Turn the driver control aids off for autocross....otherwise it will get in the way a lot.

Yes, raise tire pressures to help the bigger tire contact patch stability on the 7 inch rim. The best pressure is going to be something you need to figure out, variables include the model of tire and condition of the surface you are racing on, my suggestion is start 35psi all around and adjust from there. Typically we would adjust from there using temperature readings across the tire hide using a temp probe, you can find lots of online articles on how this is done (search Grassroots MotorSports site for example), but I imagine you don't have the temp probe setup so don't worry about that for now.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com