New tires for street

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
O.K.

New tires for street

Post by O.K. »

Hey Brian,
I need new tires for my 99. I want something with decent grip and good steering feel, also relatively lightweight.
I don't track the car, drive in the rain, or drive over 8 tenths. I am looking at s-drives , DZ 102, ecsta AST, and Nitto NT 450. I want 195 50 15 and have 7" wheels. What do you think would be best? Should I be looking at other tires?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New tires for street

Post by Brian »

Those are all good choices. The NT450 is very popular with customers who loved the old Toyo T1R on the Miata, the Nitto is another brand from same factory and super light, ride quality is great, not super high for grip but fun to drive on and high grip by standards of all season choices. The other tire on the list I like is the S-Drive, that's a more dedicated Summer tire, higher grip but won't ride as nice. Thus, everything is a tradeoff but both those choices consistently get high marks from Miata owners and I would pick between the two depending on your priorities.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
O.K.

Post by O.K. »

Thanks, Brian. Will the NT 450 provide good steering feel? Is it as wide as the S- drives? Also, it appears that the tread wraps down the sidewall more than other tires. Does this look odd in person?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The NT450 is an all season tire that looks as aggressive as many Summer Tires. Never had any negative comments on the looks. Steering feel is great for what it is, an all season tire. Your 7 inch wide wheels will square that tire up nicely and give it good support. The stiffer sidewall SDrive will turn in even sharper...and ride rougher. Again, it's a tradeoff depending on your priorities.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
O.K.

Post by O.K. »

Thanks, Brian. I think I will try the Nt450 as I have old Yokahama AVS and they rode a little rough.
Would you pick the Nitto for your street Miata?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, I would have no issues using NT450 for street use if they made the size my NC or ND uses.

I have separate wheels and tires for race weekends and like some comfort in my daily drive.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
O.K.

Post by O.K. »

Fair enough. Thanks for your advice!
ChrisF765

Post by ChrisF765 »

Hi all,

Quick question... would the answer change if I was going to mount the Nittos on a 17.7.5 PF01 rim? I ask since the OP is looking at the 195 width tire...

Thanks,
Chris
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, for 7.5 used for mostly street driving I would use 205/50 tire size.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
O.K.

Post by O.K. »

Hey Brian, I bought the Nitto NT 450 and am happy with them. They ride well and grip nicely. I am running them at 28 psi is that about right?