New Owner of '13 Club with GWR Supercharger w/Moto-East tune

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Zaphod

New Owner of '13 Club with GWR Supercharger w/Moto-East tune

Post by Zaphod »

I just bought a 2013 6sp Club Edition. The Previous owner had installed at Rocky's Miatamotive A LOT of stuff in May 2015:

-GWR Supercharger with Moto-East Tune
-Moto-East CAI for the SC
-SpeedSport SL-1 Super Light Carbon Clutch and flywheel
-CSF Radiator
-IL Motorsport Competition Motor Mounts
-HardDog Roll Bar

The car also has:
-Roadster Sport Street Header, ceramic coated
-Roadster Sport Mid-pipe
-Roadster Sport Super "Q"
-Progress Sways
-Progress Springs

I have a few questions:
1) Will the Moto-East tune play nice with the exhaust, or do I need to have it tuned more? The exhaust was on the car when the SC was installed.
2) The descriptions on the exhaust pieces say not for supercharger use, this worries me a bit. Will I be replacing CATs constantly with this?
3) What maintenance is needed for the SC and motor? This is a DD and will see little track use.
4) Will replacement carbon clutch parts be available now that the this clutch is out of production?
5) How do I get to the air filter to clean/change it? Do I have to remove the bumper for that or is there another way?

Comments:

This car is absolutely amazing to drive. Power delivery is smooth and strong and the car handles great without feeling harsh. Future upgrades will be brakes, wheels, tires, and shocks when the OEM Bilsteins give out.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New Owner of '13 Club with GWR Supercharger w/Moto-East

Post by Brian »

The tune is tuned to that car with that exhaust....so certainly it plays well with that exhaust. Indeed the header with cat is not recommended for supercharger use because cat overheats when blow torch is set to HIGH, which it effectively is with supercharger. Nonetheless, in street use it still may last you several years, in track use that cat will die much faster. Maintenance is normal, with just small additions like an additional belt that will need to be changed eventually with the other belts under the hood but for 2015 install that's well down the road. I like to change oil after track days. That filter can be reached from below when time to clean, every 15k or so. For now I would just drive and enjoy.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Thank you. This car is SOOOO much fun to drive, my wife keeps steeling it! I just want to make sure I keep it that way for a long time. I will be buying spare SC belt to have on hand and a few other items very soon.

I have found that the TC cut is very abrupt and violent, so that gets turned OFF!
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Brian,

Is it normal that my dash readout shows my mileage is approximately 50% greater than actual? The dash says I'm averaging 33MPG, but really I'm getting about 22MPG. I reset after filling up twice now, and twice I got the same results.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, those mileage calculations are typically a joke on most cars.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

It's unanimous. So far, my Wife Loves this car, my Mother, Father, Brother, and friends love this car too! Anyone who goes for a ride, drives it, get's near it, hears it, all leave grinning from ear to ear.

My mother was fun to sit next to while she drove it. She's not shy with the throttle; she even got it a little sideways. Mom hadn't driven a stick over 10 years, but she's still got it. So smooth you can barely feel her shift. She's waiting for me to go on vacation so she can borrow the car....I'm a little worried about what will be left of my tires when she's done with it.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That's a great moment with Mom, got to get that on GoPro!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Hi Brian,

I'm having new problem (my first problem), the car now has 19K miles total on it. Here are the symptoms:
1. P0421 code has come up
2. Gas mileage has dropped from 22-24 to 17 -18
3. Tailpipes getting black
4. New Popping sound in exhaust when lifting off throttle
5. Puffs of black smoke when up shifting after accelerating hard.

I'm under the impression that the car suddenly started running rich given the above symptoms , plus I can smell it. I've made no changes to the car or gas used. It was running flawlessly until about 10 days ago, the change was sudden and seems progressive.

I've already data logged and sent the logs to Moto East with payment for an updated tune, that was over a week ago. I've not heard back yet, but I've noticed the above symptoms getting worse throughout the week.

I'm thinking that I'll have to replace the header/cat with a cat-less header and get your extended O2 sensor wire, then get a new tune done.

After this is settled, I'm considering upgrading to the 2.8 pulley but with this issue I have concerns about reliability. How fragile have past cars been with the 2.8 pulley?

One other question, using and reading about EcuTek, I discovered that my car might have more than one map in the ECU. I'm wondering if I'm on the wrong map. In holding the cancel button down the tach shows I'm on map 2. Is that where I should be? Since I bought this used, I don't have ALL of the info, but I was hoping you might have info since it was modified at your place.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Start with basics, pull and check plugs. In fact, plugs are cheap, start with replacement of the plugs. Inspect old plugs, looking fouled? All four look the same? If you do not know history of coils, might consider fresh set of those too. If that gets it running decent do a log for Mike.

You would need to ask Mike about what is in each Map, likely the only difference is that Map2 has more timing than Map1, for track days, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

The SC was installed at about 10K miles. I bought the car with 13K miles. It only has 19K miles on it now and ran flawlessly until about 10 to 12 days ago.

Could the plugs or coils be gone that quickly? It has only been street driven, mostly to and from work and a couple of light road trips. No track days, really no abuse. I'd think it more likely for the cat in the header to be toast than plugs and coils this early.

BTW, what plugs are recommended for the supercharged 2.0 and what gap should I use? I will start with plugs. Do you sell them?