2008 Miata hardtop will not retract

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Mole

2008 Miata hardtop will not retract

Post by Mole »

The hatch will open on my Miata MX 5, but the top will not retract. It chatters and will not progress to the next step. The small drive gear on the motor that powers the hatch open and close, has worn the end teeth off it's matching driven gear. Does it make sense that this is the problem and are the parts individually replaceable or do I have to replace the whole mechanism?
Mole
Reitrof

Re: 2008 Miata hardtop will not retract

Post by Reitrof »

You might want to make sure that the screw that holds one of the gears against the other is tight. might be the reason why it is skipping. The screw is there to uncouple the 2 gears when you need to operate the top manually in case of the PRHT mechanism fails.
2008 PRHT Touring True Red, MazdaSpeed body kit
RSII, RX8 Sways, KW V3 Coilovers
Kenwood DNX7100, Nautilis Horn
Mole

Post by Mole »

Thanks and you are right. That was the original problem. I tightened it and the top retracted for several months, but now even with the screw on both sides tight and the hatch fully open, the top will not open. What is the trigger that lets the second step (top opens), begin? Whatever that trigger is, is not happening.
RayF593

Post by RayF593 »

lubricate all the moving
parts. fixed mine