Pairing what exhaust with the long tube?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Matth3w

Pairing what exhaust with the long tube?

Post by Matth3w »

GWR,

So I have a shorty header, your mid pipe, and the Super Q (non header version) with an extra Amazon.com resonator welded in. I like this sound.

Previously I had the setup above without the extra resonator, so it had that really bad "rasp" at 3k on acceleration.

I'm planning to get the long tube header for sure (when will it become available regularly?)...but now I'm wondering if the exhaust will be boringly quiet...

As long as I stay within the sound level acceptable for SCCA events, I'm perfectly content having a loud exhaust, provided it doesn't have the annoying rasp. I listened to the video from your site but it was hard to hear. Should I get the Race? Super Street? Stick with what I got? I also own the full packed baffle so if you thought the race + that or SS + that etc would also work.

I know you're pretty honest about setup choices.
Matth3w

Re: Pairing what exhaust with the long tube?

Post by Matth3w »

When I say I can't tell from the videos, I mean it's really hard to hear that 3k rpm rasp in videos from my experience. So it may be there and I'm missing it.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We learned a lot on the standard header and one thing it taught us was that we needed a BIG resonator in the midpipe for the longtube....which is what we did. Result is no rasp in the longtube setup even if you use our little Race muffler. I was running our Race muffler until recently with the longtube. My own Race muffler then got chopped for use in experiments on the Fiat, and I switched to the single tip Super Street. At SCCA event this past weekend I asked the person running the sound meter for my numbers and they didn't have any, too far below the limit for them to write the numbers down. That means under 90 even at full throttle screaming by the location of the sound meter which was on a fast section going up hill.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Brian,

Thanks for the response. I take it you also had no issues with it as a daily driver around town etc? I feel like you usually mention it if you dislike the sound. So it leads me to believe you were satisfied.

I guess a) if it's a little loud I always have the packed baffle b) if it's still too loud I could stick another resonator in the axle back section (prolly unnecessary) or absolute worst case c) just put the race on there for events since unfortunately I'll have a full exhaust sitting in my spare room.

Just not many people to sell it to here on island.

Thanks though in a month or so I will probably just order everything.

Any idea around what month the long tubes will be more readily available? I know your first batches are probably trying to fulfill STR nats guys etc.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Day one with the longtube on my car I bolted up the header version SuperQ....essentially what you made of a normal SuperQ when you added the resonator to calm the rasp. Result with longtube was stock sound level or less, really could not hear it.

Then I tried the SuperStreet Single tip, i find the result very reasonable.

Then I tried the RoadsterSPort Race and loved it, the vibrato with higher frequencies is amazing and I left that on the car for two months including all race events and all street driving, no issues for sound meters at SCCA events and no issue for me in street driving. That does not mean this combo will suit everyone, still lots of volume but what it does not have is that rasp you had with the shorty....which we very intentionally cured with the monster size resonator in the longtube's special midpipe. I will add that the Race is a bit too much volume for my wife, she prefers the car with the Super Street on it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Well you sold me. Just need to square away a few things and hopefully I'll order both by the 15th or so
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not to unsell you on a muffler but obviously you could start with the longtube hooked to the muffler you have, then delete the resonator you added to that SuperQ....and then still get a muffler if you want more sound. The Straight pipe designs like the Race and SuperStreet make 3 more hp on the dyno with longtube compared to SuperQ with longtube, not enough difference to feel.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Matth3w

Post by Matth3w »

Part of it is Hawai'i related. So because your axle back mates to the midpipe I'll never be able to sell it locally without that. I might then turn to online.

I'm not worried about the hp necessarily but I do want the sound, as immature as that is. Plus your shipping out here is cheaper if I get it right away as opposed to two separate shipping charges.

Not 100% sure but I definitely considered what you said.