New Owner of '13 Club with GWR Supercharger w/Moto-East tune

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
blackone

Re: New Owner of '13 Club with GWR Supercharger w/Moto-East

Post by blackone »

Hi, Sorry to hear about your Issues. I understand what is happening and I can help you.
You also want to read this
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=617734
I quoted you, I hope you do not mind.
Regards jay
Zaphod wrote:I just bought a 2013 6sp Club Edition. The Previous owner had installed at Rocky's Miatamotive A LOT of stuff in May 2015:

-GWR Supercharger with Moto-East Tune
-Moto-East CAI for the SC
-SpeedSport SL-1 Super Light Carbon Clutch and flywheel
-CSF Radiator
-IL Motorsport Competition Motor Mounts
-HardDog Roll Bar

The car also has:
-Roadster Sport Street Header, ceramic coated
-Roadster Sport Mid-pipe
-Roadster Sport Super "Q"
-Progress Sways
-Progress Springs

I have a few questions:
1) Will the Moto-East tune play nice with the exhaust, or do I need to have it tuned more? The exhaust was on the car when the SC was installed.
2) The descriptions on the exhaust pieces say not for supercharger use, this worries me a bit. Will I be replacing CATs constantly with this?
3) What maintenance is needed for the SC and motor? This is a DD and will see little track use.
4) Will replacement carbon clutch parts be available now that the this clutch is out of production?
5) How do I get to the air filter to clean/change it? Do I have to remove the bumper for that or is there another way?

Comments:

This car is absolutely amazing to drive. Power delivery is smooth and strong and the car handles great without feeling harsh. Future upgrades will be brakes, wheels, tires, and shocks when the OEM Bilsteins give out.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, if you foul a plug it goes from running amazing to suddenly running poorly because one cylinder not firing, dumping all the fuel down the tubes, putting black soot on tailpipe as you describe, killing gas mileage as you also describe. Likewise if coil failing. Again I suggest starting with the basics, if the tune already in there was working great before, it has no way to suddenly go bad, so I would check and likely replace plugs as first step...they are cheap and easy to change. Spark Plug gap to .032 and not the factory .054. That gap slowly opens with time... I like DENSO ITV22 spark plugs on this setup though each of the Tuners seems to have their favorite.

If fresh plugs make it run right again, then you need to chase what might have caused the plug fouling, by doing a datalog and having tuner look at the log.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Just checked the plugs, no fouling, they all looked good but the gaps were a little inconsistent. I adjusted gaps to your recommendation and will order new plugs today. I didn't see the DENSO ITV22 spark plugs you recommend on your site.

I have to run some errands to day, so I'll clear the P0421 code and see if comes back.
blackone

Post by blackone »

Brian wrote:Yes, if you foul a plug it goes from running amazing to suddenly running poorly because one cylinder not firing, dumping all the fuel down the tubes, putting black soot on tailpipe as you describe, killing gas mileage as you also describe. Likewise if coil failing. Again I suggest starting with the basics, if the tune already in there was working great before, it has no way to suddenly go bad, so I would check and likely replace plugs as first step...they are cheap and easy to change. Spark Plug gap to .032 and not the factory .054. That gap slowly opens with time... I like DENSO ITV22 spark plugs on this setup though each of the Tuners seems to have their favorite.

If fresh plugs make it run right again, then you need to chase what might have caused the plug fouling, by doing a datalog and having tuner look at the log.

Brian, this is jay From Tuning done right. The issue is the calibration!!!!!
Read this tread.

and this tread

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=597598

Brian you need to know. Call me if you like.

All he need to do is post a data log! I will show you in 2 seconds that the Fuel Scale Change is responsible, and most importantly I will fix the issue! in 2 or 3 flashes
Last edited by blackone on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
blackone

Post by blackone »

Zaphod wrote:Just checked the plugs, no fouling, they all looked good but the gaps were a little inconsistent. I adjusted gaps to your recommendation and will order new plugs today. I didn't see the DENSO ITV22 spark plugs you recommend on your site.

I have to run some errands to day, so I'll clear the P0421 code and see if comes back.
I am not sure if you did not see my post, but I will try one more time.

Your issue is the calibration, You will be going around in circles looking for a mechanical issue. I can help you and I will do it for free, But I won't ask again. :D

Jay Tuning Done Right.
Here you will find what people who have been where you are said after I fixed the Issue

http://www.tdr-mx5tuning.com/read-what- ... ur-tuning/

And here you will find the explanation for why the fueling of your car has changed

Last edited by blackone on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Jay is one of two big Tuners of the NC platform we like....and given his generous offer to help chase the issue, would not hurt to take him up on the offer and get him some data logs.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Brian and Jay, THANK YOU!!!! I appreciate the help, I don't want to hurt the car, although that would be an expensive excuse to swap to 2.5L motor :) .

Jay, How do I send you data logs? I have 2 I did yesterday morning, really running the motor through the full rev range through a few gears as well as some gentle driving.
blackone

Post by blackone »

Zaphod wrote:Brian and Jay, THANK YOU!!!! I appreciate the help, I don't want to hurt the car, although that would be an expensive excuse to swap to 2.5L motor :) .

Jay, How do I send you data logs? I have 2 I did yesterday morning, really running the motor through the full rev range through a few gears as well as some gentle driving.

My pleasure.
Attach it to an e-mail and send them both to
Jay@tdr-mx5tuning.com

Also send me your ECUTEK dongle ID number please
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Jay,

Sent and sent.
blackone

Post by blackone »