Goodwin tophats - not locating springs well

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
YuriR150

Goodwin tophats - not locating springs well

Post by YuriR150 »

Hey guys,
I wanted to ask you about what can be done to locate springs on the Goodwin hats? When i was purchasing i've asked and was assured it would be no problem, but there is enough slop with 2.5" ID spring that the 7" Eibach spring ends up rubbing on spec miata sleeve and destroying threads on it. Because this hat has it's own "locator" i can't add an after-market one like Energy Suspension or Spec Miata.

I would really appreciate some help as there is little to no time left before the MRLS and I can't drive the car like this (it makes nasty noise when it rubs and I feel it too).
Sean @ GWR

Re: Goodwin tophats - not locating springs well

Post by Sean @ GWR »

The top hat does have a built in locator for the springs on the top, there is 1/8"of play with the spring but note that is much better than factory hats without a locator which is commonly done without problems. When properly installed the spring should not rub on the sleeve threads significantly. If you have a loose spring at full droop that can be solved by a helper spring or longer main spring...that has nothing to do with the hat. Post a photo of your set up so we can help diagnose what is going on.
YuriR150

Re: Goodwin tophats - not locating springs well

Post by YuriR150 »

I don't have helpers or tenders , but the issue is that from what I can tell it shifts under load. I try to center when lowering the car, but when suspension moves a lot - the spring shifts.

Bilstein HD
Goodwin/Feal hat
Spec Miata sleeve/perch
FM bump
Eibach spring
QA1 needle bearing