ND Emission issues in AZ with Header?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
beardedstealth

ND Emission issues in AZ with Header?

Post by beardedstealth »

I just came into a little money and was going to pull the trigger on the "RoadsterSport Complete Street Exhaust Combo...With Ceramic Coated Header". However, I started looking on the internet for how this might negatively impact my emissions and couldn't find a definitive answer. So, I was hoping someone here might be able to help...

Specifically, I have a 2016 Miata Club that I would like to put the entire exhaust on including header. I live in Glendale, AZ. I won't have the money for the tune at the same time, so I will be running the new exhaust without a tune for at least a little while. Will I pass emissions down the road with this setup? What about any laws related to removing a catalytic converter?

I am a purely enthusiastic street driver who loves the idea of having extra torque and even better sound, but not if it causes me to have to jump through major hoops to keep my daily driver legal.

I appreciate the help.
DanielS172

Re: ND Emission issues in AZ with Header?

Post by DanielS172 »

That's kind of a loaded question, and here's why:

1) It depends on your states emissions laws, and how they inspect. I'm not familiar with AZ, but in CA any emissions equipment that is removed or not approved by the state (CARB) will cause the vehicle to fail emissions during the "visual" inspection, despite the fact that the actual tailpipe emissions are within spec. However, with any OBDII vehicle, the inspection in CA consists only of a visual inspection and hooking up a scanner to the car's OBDII port to see if it's throwing any codes (check engine light, etc.) As long as the car isn't throwing any codes and the emissions equipment is stock or CARB approved, the car passes. If not, it fails. As such, I would recommend researching how emissions inspections are done in your area, and plan accordingly.
2) I doubt Brian (or any vendor) will outright say that their product will pass emissions, for liability reasons, unless that part is approved by some regulator (again, CARB for CA, don't know about AZ).

Hope this helps.
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
beardedstealth

Re: ND Emission issues in AZ with Header?

Post by beardedstealth »

Thanks for the feedback. I looked up AZ emissions and it appears they use OBD as well as a "tampering" test. Although it is unclear if these tampering tests occur regularly since the website states:
In addition to one of the above tests, a vehicle may undergo a visual inspection to determine the presence of certain emission control components as installed by the manufacturer. Inspection includes catalytic converter, operational air pump, positive crankcase ventilation system and evaporative control system. These inspections coupled with the evaporative system integrity (pressure) test constitute the tampering inspection.
Wondering if anyone in AZ has been through this process and can speak to whether this tampering test is common or not? Unfortunately I haven't had a car emissions tested in over a decade while living here.

Thanks again