Specific 2011 PRHT suspension advice

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
mdw1000

Specific 2011 PRHT suspension advice

Post by mdw1000 »

So my local autocross club allows me to change the following things and remain in the stock class:

- shocks
- sway bars
- end links
- bump stops

It currently has the crappy sport suspension Bilsteins.

Everything is stock except for 225/45/17 Toyo Proxes R1R.

What would Brian and others recommend for a car that is occasionally autocrossed but mostly daily driven?

Note that I cannot change springs.

Thanks!
mdw1000

Re: Specific 2011 PRHT suspension advice

Post by mdw1000 »

Also don't want to lower the car much due to speed bumps in the area. And complaints from thr lovely wife.
njaremka

Post by njaremka »

Progress springs
Progress sway bars
Bilstein Sport shocks
RoadsterSport endlinks
mdw1000

Post by mdw1000 »

Can't do the springs, but thanks for the reply.

Do you have the Bilstein sport shocks? I've heard some mention a harsh ride. I assume you disagree with that?
njaremka

Post by njaremka »

Whoops! Missed it that you didn't mention springs.

I had the Bilstein Sports on my PRHT with OEM springs, and the ride was firm but not uncomfortable. Others may disagree, but I don't care much for Konis.

Progress sway swill still pair well, and for the price, are an excellent upgrade for handling.
DanielS172

Post by DanielS172 »

For shocks, I would recommend either Konis or the Tokico HTS. Both are adjustable, although the Konis will lower the car somewhat (~0.5" I believe?), even with stock springs due to the lower gas pressure. The Tokicos will not lower the car, and are still adjustable so you can crank them up for autocross and back down for daily driving, which is what I do.

For sway bars, I've only ever used the set from Flyin' Miata, which are very good. However, the ones from Progress seem much beefier, and I'd be interested in trying those out since they seem to get rave reviews. Both of these sets mentioned are adjustable, which is always nice.

As far as bump stops, I'm currently running the stock ones. I don't run into any issues with hitting them because I'm running much stiffer springs which keep me off the stops. If you're going to be using stock springs, you may want to look into the stops that Goodwin sells for "lowered cars" if you're using Konis (again, because of the lowering effect), but if you're using the Tokicos or any other shock that doesn't lower the car then you're probably fine with the stock length stops.

Finally, concerning endlinks, I would recommend the RoadsterSports. I have yet to try them myself, but that will likely be the next upgrade I do. I've researched endlinks like crazy, and I believe these are the best value.

Hope this helps your decision-making!
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
mdw1000

Post by mdw1000 »

Thanks for the replies!

I had the Tokikos on my RX-8. Loved the adjustability (like you, I would stiffen then up for track days but would soften them for street), but I did have one blow out on me, so I have mixed feelings on them.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I prefer the KONI over the Tokico....and the KONI drop the car half an inch because they are twin tube construction. Result is much needed negative camber for stock class. That's why the fast guys in stock class are almost always on KONI.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
mdw1000

Post by mdw1000 »

Brian,

I'm running your "standard" alignment for good street handling, tire wear, and occasional autocross (1.2 negative camber all around). I run the same Toyo R1Rs for street and autocross. I only autocross 4 to 5 times a year, and I have a lot of speed bumps in my area, so I'm not super concerned about getting much more negative camber or lower ride height. Would you still recommend the Konis, or would something else be more appropriate?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It's only a half inch of lowering from stock, not enough to make a difference on speed bumps in my region...so indeed I still prefer the KONI for that competitive advantage on autocross days, even if just a few per year.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com