Buying non-CARB approved parts in CA?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DanielS172

Buying non-CARB approved parts in CA?

Post by DanielS172 »

So, I noticed that the website seems to have recently been updated with the disclaimer "not for sale to residents of CA" on pretty much every emissions part that isn't CARB approved (exhausts, intakes, etc.) I recall that it used to say something along the lines of "for off-road use only", but now with this new verbiage is seems much more stringent. Was there some kind of law passed that made buying non-CARB approved parts more difficult? Because I've noticed this with other websites/retailers as well. I'm just curious.
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Buying non-CARB approved parts in CA?

Post by Brian »

California serious about it, fines are big enough to put shops out of business, nothing we can do about it but get extra careful. The "for off-road use only" exception still there in the law but no easy way for shops to control how the item gets used after it goes out the front door and California holding shops responsible regardless.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DanielS172

Post by DanielS172 »

That sucks. So even if I wanted to buy a header or something for my race car, I couldn't?
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

DanielS172 wrote:That sucks. So even if I wanted to buy a header or something for my race car, I couldn't?

Yes...that is the new bottom line.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DanielS172

Post by DanielS172 »

Man, that sure is a bummer :roll:
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Just curious, Brian -- how much of your "off-road" business was shipped to CA before the change? In other words, what percentage of this market segment did California just give away to other states?
jpwfz6

Post by jpwfz6 »

Hmmm,
I see alot of post office boxes opening up in Yuma, Ehrenberg, Vegas, Reno and the likes.
Jason
Victoria, BC Canada
:( Sold: 2006 Winning Blue, 2.5L, Progress springs, KYB shocks, Michelin PSS, Full GWR street exhaust.
:D Current: 2017 Fiat 124 Abarth, Rosso red, M/T, Progress springs, Wilwood BBK, Full GWR exhaust