Wheel Diameters

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
BryanH915

Wheel Diameters

Post by BryanH915 »

Hi;
I have a 2009 black PRHT model and would really like to set it up like you did on the 2012 PRHT that you built.

My question is about wheel diameters/widths.
What are the pros/cons of using 16,17 and 18" diameter wheels?
What would the best wheel width be for use as a street car so I do not have to roll the fenders?

Thank you very much
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Wheel Diameters

Post by Brian »

In general, we suggest 17 inch diameter. We have used 18 inch for racing for particular tire we wanted to fit but ride quality generally not great for 18 inch in street use and we suggest 17. Most 16 inch don't fit, tire selection is weak, etc.

For 17 inch diameter there are a range of widths we use for street cars, depending on how aggressive you want the setup but generally 7, 7.5, and 8 inch. Wider you go for same 205mm wide tire, the more support sidewall has, the better performance BUT lower ride quality is the tradeoff. Thus, on my wife's NC PRHT we used 7.5 wide as a compromise and 215mm tire (205mm would have fit same wheel and again more performance from better sidewall support but less ride quality). If you add a lot of power (turbo, 2.5 liter, supercharger) then 17x8 and wider rubber such as 225/45 or 235/40.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BryanH915

Re: Wheel Diameters

Post by BryanH915 »

Brian;
Thanks for much for clarifying all the choices!
Looks like I will be looking for a set of 17X7.5 wheels when the budget allows.

Thank you!