ND Sway Bar Install Notes

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
ChristopherH060

Re: ND Sway Bar Install Notes

Post by ChristopherH060 »

Does anybody have info on installing the extra collars that come with the sway bars front and rear?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not much to it, they stop the bar from sliding sideways.
Attachments
Stopper.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ChristopherH060

Thanks Brian. It's a super tight fit to snug them flush against the brackets. It looks like a small gap from your picture to clear the frame where the brackets mount. On the rears I mounted the collar flush to the bracket (although I've now got squeak front and rear from the bushings. Thoughts? It's been a while since I turned a wrench on my sporty car (no shortage of busted knuckles working on my LR3).
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Try a smear or grease on outer bushing surface. If you have the slid stops essentially press fit, see if you can back them off enough so rear bar moves free when not connected to endlinks. The slide stops can be to inside as needed.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ChristopherH060

Popped the rear bushings out, lubed the snot out of them inside and out with Super Lube, backed the slip stops off an 1/8". Tightened everything back down and I'm squeak free. Thanks Brian!
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Hi Folks, perhaps someone can shed some light in the install method.

I have read various treads in different forums and there seems to be quite a few ways to switch out the sways. These methods are not always clear and leave out some important details. Some take one method halfway then switch to another. Others says you don't have to remove much, others have you removing quite a bit, and on and on. Just when I think I have a plan, another person suggest a different approach creating doubt and concern (anxiety).

So hopefully we can either have one method or agree on a method that would normally be applicable to perhaps most folks contemplating doing it themselves based on the following conditions:

1) The sway bar is removed and replaced (not cut out although this could be an alternative)
2) Work is done at home using jack stands
3) Sways bars are one piece
4) Least amount of parts removed
5) Minimize damage to the radiator fins and wiring/sensors

So giving the above, what is the recommended or suggested method?

Plus if there is a "best or easier" method, are there detailed instructions with pictures? Taking things apart is one thing, but putting it back together can be a challenge if not documented and one needs to know the sequence.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The JBR install instructions are the best we have seen so far.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another choice of instructions at Miata.net.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another choice, by Corksport.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Well, I opted to have a professional do it; since I don't have access to a lift and the price was right (did the rear myself). Also got the LBBK with the 12.19" rotors installed as well with rear SS lines and DOT 4. Now if it would only stop raining here in South Florida so I can bed those brake and try out the sway bars!

Thanks for all the advice and comments....