PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
njaremka

Re: PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Post by njaremka »

Brian wrote:
FiatH.jpg
Helmholtz Chamber experiments....
Any sound difference from one side to the other? Or are you just playing around with the packaging layout?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

njaremka wrote:
Brian wrote:
FiatH.jpg
Any sound difference from one side to the other? Or are you just playing around with the packaging layout?

Side makes no difference. It's not obvious but passenger side install is a much bigger unit....sitting higher up under the car and we want the slight weight gain in that corner to best help offset the driver.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
njaremka

Post by njaremka »

Brian wrote:
njaremka wrote:
Brian wrote:
FiatH.jpg

Side makes no difference. It's not obvious but passenger side install is a much bigger unit....sitting higher up under the car and we want the slight weight gain in that corner to best help offset the driver.
Now that you mention the size difference, I see it now...
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Is it too soon to ask about turbo replacement ideas?

I'd like your thoughts on larger, more intensive replacements as well as straight plug-n-play (thinking ball bearing options - possibly even smaller "hybrid" turbos)?

Any others want to chime in on whether they'd prefer a smaller optimised drop-in vs going whole hog with a big snail??

One other possibility to consider is the value of a larger turbo vs swapping in the 1.8l from the Alfa 4c etc?

(Pretty sure that's what they've done with the rally cars?)

"Obviously", it's far more practical to swap turbos, but I've read elsewhere the ceiling for the 1.8 is far, far beyond what the 1.4 is capable of - enough so that anyone looking at throwing some serious $'s at these bad-boys might take it into consideration?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Likely we go with a stuffed turbo. First will see what we can do with E85 on stock turbo....soon.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

"Stuffed" - very different slang here in Oz - means its seen its last days...

Do you mean a hybrid, or rebuilt internals of some kind?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Stock housing is machined out, better and bigger billet internals added. See NGEN with GPOP and similar. Google 'Fiat Stuffed turbo' for many links.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Brilliant, was hoping you'd test the GPOP as I'd read about it on 124.org!

That said - there's a bloke on miata.net running a bigger turbo (1752?), and by the sounds of it is still only running a 13 second quarter mile!!

I know these aren't drag cars by any stretch, but that seems precious little gain...

The E85 sounds like a plan - I hear it's great for boosted engines, so keen as punch to hear how it fares.

I noticed there was no love for the 1.8 swap...:lol:

I guess that would drastically alter race class - but maybe worth it if it could hang with some of the more exotic metal getting around - and still alot more affordable.
Last edited by LateNights on Thu May 03, 2018 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Brian wrote:Stock housing is machined out, better and bigger billet internals added. See NGEN with GPOP and similar. Google 'Fiat Stuffed turbo' for many links.
Wow - some big numbers being thrown around - should be interesting to see what you guys achieve!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Fiat SportCat Downpipe is a GO for Production!

A YEAR of work on this Baby....but it takes time to make the BEST.
FiatMaxCat.jpg
A little teaser drawing from the CAD and pre-production testing work. Every other choice is 4 inch body....but starting from scratch and laser scanning the space meant we could CAD a full custom fab a 5 inch body converter into the space! 200 CPI. Bolt on fit includes ability to bolt on the factory heat shields from the factory converter! So awesome....love it. Will get it on the site this week for preorders....and should be shipping about June 18th. Sorry, NOT CARB legal, that will mean it cannot ship to California customers!

Stock cat is two biscuit, or cores, each about 4 inches long. First core after the turbo is the highest density, appears to be at least 400 CPI, second core is lower density CPI. Ours is a motorsports grade metallic single core of 5 inch diameter and 200 CPI.

Prototype weigh in, just about 2 pounds saved over stock.
Attachments
ProtoSportCat.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com