PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Post by Brian »

Had the Fiat out for another SCCA day. Little adjustment to sways and balance was better than last event. Enjoy the video which features the joyous full throttle fun of our complete RoadsterSport Exhaust System!

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Time for bars I can adjust between runs at Autocross and track events. Today the balance was good but as tires age the need to adjust the sways on the fly gets more and more interesting, and the prior event it would have saved the day to have ability to adjust on the fly.

Karcepts was told by a customer that these bars don't fit the Fiat 124 up front, but they installed easily here. Our guess is that the prior customer had stock intercooler with hard plastic intercooler tubes, with silicon tubes of EC intercooler it works with no issues, no rub, it fits.
Attachments
KarceptsInstall.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

New StopTech brakes installed for testing....
StoptechTest.jpg
And....I hate them. Not every new test product works out, on the site but will add my comments right now that strongly suggest these are dedicated track cars...ONLY. Constant pad knock will drive most folks crazy, even the street pads have the worst pad squeal I have ever experienced. And for all that they fit just about no wheels other than 6UL... unless you add spacers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Transmission cooling air scoop...for serious track use! Coming to the site soon for ND transmission cooling as you see in these pics:
ScoopA.jpg
ScoopB.jpg
We are working on a version of the scoop for Fiat 124, but priorities with it are different. Fiat dumps oil heat to coolant and that works okay for street use, not really enough for hardcore track use. So the Fiat 124 scoop in prototype sits more forward to blow air on the finned oil fan of the Fiat for additional oil cooling first. That air once up in the tunnel will also flow around the trans as a secondary cooling benefit.
FiatScoops.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Running around this week on 16x8 Dekagrams with 225/50/16. Cushy!

Old school fat tire looks getting lots of stoplight compliments today on the look of the car in general, and the super FUN RoadsterSport exhaust note in particular!
Attachments
Fiat16.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Getting plenty of compliments on the setup driving around town yesterday. One serious looking biker pulled off to have a chat and ask me questions about the fun exhaust note, the wheels and tires, the Spyder in general.
Attachments
Fiat16low.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Fiat 124 Automatic quick review...

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Limited Slips....A Video Comparison of Before And After!

Our Fiat 124 'Fiata' in SCCA autocross. We started with base model Classica, no limited slip. About 17 seconds after the start I am heading up hill and slightly left and you can actually SEE the black tire line of slightly unloaded inside driver's rear wheel spinning and you can hear car is not hooking up. We overlaid the data with buddy in supercharged Miata that I compete against and he gained over half a second on me in just the ONE instance of slip, and there are several more on the video. Our estimate at the time was that lack of the limited slip was costing us roughly 1.5 seconds that day.

We then added extra rear pumpkin with limited slip we had for ND, that worked except gearing totally different and 2nd gear carried us through 72mph. We sent our stock rear housing to Japan for our friends at OSGIKEN to develop their famous limited slips to the Fiat's housing (same as ND Automatic). Did the same with first NC years ago so we could have OSGIKEN limited slip for NC. With the OsGIKEN back from world travels and installed in our Fiat 124 now the autocross videos look like below. Notice now you cannot hear any time lost to wheel spin. Hear the difference? With video above we were still getting into the setup on the car and we were 2.5 seconds slower than the faster STR guys, now we are often faster than ND in STR....even on same tires (video below finished 1.5 seconds ahead of fastest STR ND instead of 2.5 seconds behind thanks to better suspension setup, alignment, other bits....and limited slip). What may not be so obvious from the video comparison is driver confidence goes up when not so concerned with being gentle throttle on corner exits. Without limited slip I had to feather throttle at places until car hooked up straight, and I often adjusted my line to get weight on both tires earlier than ideal. With the limited slip I can run 100% throttle much more of the time, get on throttle at corner exit just a bit earlier, and dial a more ideal line and just let the limited slip do it's job of hooking me up out of corners. Oh yeah....with limited slip it's both faster and more fun!

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Project Fiat at SCCA autocross today. Some competitors surprised me with their 500 crank hp widebody Evo with full Aero and new 315/30/18 Hoosiers on custom wheels that looked 11 inches or wider. Ouch, got beat by nearly 2 seconds. The Fiat can get there, it really can, but need 10 inch wide wheels, front splitter, E85 tune, and bigger turbo.
Attachments
fiat vs evo.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

BMW CLUB DAY...and ALL of them beat by a wee little 1.4 liter Fast Fiat 124!

Our friends from 949 Racing joined us, another broken ND trans by end of day in their car, one of two ND towed out of the event. Last weekend it was my own ND that busted a trans at Saturday practice and I ended up racing the Fiat last weekend and this weekend. Any more Fix It Again Tony jokes for what is proving the most race durable version of the ND? ;)

Ohlins Coilovers, RoadsterSport Exhaust, 17x9 6UL wheels, Karcepts Front and Rear Sways, and more.

Attachments
FB_IMG_1531680324331.jpg
FB_IMG_1531680315693.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com