Roadster Sport vs. Progress Sway

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
awales74

Roadster Sport vs. Progress Sway

Post by awales74 »

Looking for differences between Roadster Sport and Progress Sway. Focusing on front bar and assuming the back is built to match. What is the range of strengths of the 3 different positions.

I can find numbers for the OEM bar (132 lbs) and Progress bar (429lbs to 591 lbs). From product description, one would expect Roadster Sport to fall within OEM and Progress. But does it range closer to OEM or stiffer towards Progress.

Feel free to just link me to the thread if it's been discussed. And correct my numbers if I'm off base.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Roadster Sport vs. Progress Sway

Post by Brian »

Assuming ND/Fiat

Progress
Features:
-Size: FRONT 28.5 mm (hollow bar; 6.35mm side-wall)
-Size: REAR 17.5 mm SOLID

RoadsterSport

*Front Sway Bar: 27mm OD / 3.6mm wall, 3 adjustments
*Rear Sway Bar: 16mm solid, 3 adjustments
*Locating Collars
*Bushings and Brackets

YES....the RoadsterSport is about halfway in effective stiffness, our top choice for street enthusiasts. Progress Sways are a lot more serious on rate, more for those serious about weekends of track/autocross. Do you race? If you do, Progress. If you don't race, RoadsterSport.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Hi Brian,

What is the purpose of the locating collars? The stock sway nor the Progress sways have them. Also, does it matter whether they are installed inside or outside the brackets or at all?

Thanks,

Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Both bars have something that limits bar sliding through the bushings too far to either side, on Progress it is welded on ring to prevent slide and on RoadsterSport crimp on collars doing the same job. The crimp on style can be either side that it fits, does the same job either way.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

What is the usual or suggested distance the collar should be located from the bracket?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You want it close to do the job, let's say an eighth inch clearance.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Is the rear RoadsterSport SB directional? Meaning is there a left/right side to it? The reason I am asking, before taking it apart, is that the bar (middle hole) connection to the stock endlink is at a very acute angle in relation to the bolt. I have attached two photos showing the angle. The photos are from the right rear wheel.

Thanks,

Andrew
Attachments
IMG_4821.JPG
IMG_4820.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not directional
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Ok then if not directional, is this a correct attachment or should the bolt be attached more perpendicular to the flat part of the SB? The front sway bar attachment points with your endlinks look perfect.

The reason I ask is due to a creaking sound at low speed around 5-10mph especially when turning right or driving into my driveway on an angle (there is a dip at the entrance). I took apart the rear brackets and loaded it up with grease (Energy Suspension).

The brackets on the front sways looks well greased, but the collars were installed (professionally) right next to and touching the brackets on the outside and on a angle (touching the base plate on a corner of the collar). I thought that this may be causing the noise. So I moved the collars further out (approx 1/8") and leveled them, but I am still getting this noise which appears to be coming form the rear, although I not 100% sure. I am still testing to find where it is emanating. Pushing down on the corners of the car does not help.

It is bit annoying given my wife is very skeptical about any modifications and points out this noise as the reason not to change anything.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian wrote:Assuming ND/Fiat

Progress
Features:
-Size: FRONT 28.5 mm (hollow bar; 6.35mm side-wall)
-Size: REAR 17.5 mm SOLID
Brian, the product description for the ND Progress bars say the rear OD is 16 mm, but you say 17.5 here. Which is correct?

Thanks.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.