PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by Brian »

No ceiling in sight yet. We have been over 220 in experiments so far. I am very curious how many things from ND2 motor will bolt up to ND1 motor with supercharger. Perhaps the bigger throttle body? Perhaps the higher flowing head with bigger valves? All sort of untested potential.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ryanholt

Post by ryanholt »

Someone pointed out that you lost the tranny in your blue ND this weekend. Can you shed more light on the causal factors from your perspective?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, at SCCA Practice event Saturday the trans 2nd gear went again. Typically about 12 runs on practice day, I got 5. Real shame, with each run I was setting and resetting Top Time of Day and it held all day if we don't count GoKarts. So, the car is working really well otherwise. Time for version 4, will start looking around the local yards and EBAY as time permits this week (also closing escrow on our new site for Good-Win Racing so that's about a million times more important at this moment).

I have lost two transmissions, same pattern both times. At the moment of failure full throttle and over 6500 rpms in 2nd gear, full load transition at the moment of failure AND steering input change from left to right on high grip tires (putting a lot of twist through everything).

I hear that ND2 trans internals not changed from ND1 version 4, but I also understand the case may be ribbed for less flex and those ribs continue into the lower part of the engine casting so entire unit of engine/trans will suffer less twist, which sounds like the right answer. This pic posted by FM's Keith at miata.net to point to some of the updates (like ND2 gets stronger engine case, upgraded connections to trans, and oil heat dump to coolant). My guess from pics is ND2 trans needs the ND2 engine, so upgrade to that ND2 trans will mean you put in the ND2 motor too. So, as soon as somebody has a line on first one to get crashed after release later this month, let me know!
Attachments
Engine-copyND2.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RainierG415

Post by RainierG415 »

Will the turbo you pulled out be available to be purchased in the bargain bin?
ryanholt

Post by ryanholt »

Are you breaking the case open and changing the internals with EMCO or OEM gears or are you changing the whole box?

What's the average time to remove a trans in the ND?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

RainierG415 wrote:Will the turbo you pulled out be available to be purchased in the bargain bin?
YES...already up in ND bargain bin section at THIS LINK.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RainierG415

Post by RainierG415 »

Brian wrote:No ceiling in sight yet. We have been over 220 in experiments so far. I am very curious how many things from ND2 motor will bolt up to ND1 motor with supercharger. Perhaps the bigger throttle body? Perhaps the higher flowing head with bigger valves? All sort of untested potential.
What other supporting mods were used to achieve 220? Is this to the wheels?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Over 220 was first experiment with E85 on otherwise stock Edelbrock install, done over a year ago. I never posted the chart and now I don't know where it is. But.....more on this very soon.

Brian
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Interesting that you've chosen to go back to supercharged over turbo, even with the ND2 incoming - any insight as to why that choice was made?
Brian wrote: That decision covered one page back in the thread.
Edit: Image

That's what I get for drunk-posting...
Last edited by LateNights on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

LateNights wrote:Interesting that you've chosen to go back to supercharged over turbo, even with the ND2 incoming - any insight as to why that choice was made?
That decision covered one page back in the thread.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com