Header Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
OpusMX5

Re: Header Installation

Post by OpusMX5 »

Brian wrote:
Check a 10mm bolt through the hole, likely nothing has to be done.
Thanks Brian. I already figured out how to make a chaser and it worked quite easily, but removed such little material that a plain bolt may have done the job too. :lol:
ChanceS905

Post by ChanceS905 »

Nd factory manifold hitting valve cover wont just lift straight up. About to lose temper lol
ChanceS905

Post by ChanceS905 »

had to use a slide hammer on the rail pinch weld
BryanH915

Post by BryanH915 »

I installed the header, Helmholtz mid and Super Q recently. What a really nice and well built exhaust system!!

I found a nice, fairly clean way to keep the O2 wires away from the header.

First remove the black/forward O2 sensor connector from it's mount near the alternator, then zip tie both the O2 extension wires to the steel brake line going to the right front wheel.

I then installed a "post" in the cross over part of the frame that is near the header. You will find about 3 10mm holes in the cross over. You can put about an 8" "post" through one of them and secure it to the cross member. I used a battery J hook, threaded a nut/washer on it, inserted it in the hole, and then secured it with a nylock and washer. Make sure the post does not touch the body of the car.

This "post" now gave me a second mounting spot for the O2 wires. I zip tied both O2 wires onto this post.

Routing the O2 wires this way gives you a secure mount that will keep your O2 wires off and away from the hot header!

Sorry Brian, I can't figure out how to post a photo as the photo would be worth 1000 words. I can email you a photo if you want to post it.

Cheers
Attachments
HS1.jpg
HS2.jpg
HS3.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the post, send us pic and we can post it for you to your post.

Brian
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BryanH915

Post by BryanH915 »

Ok, will send you some photos.

A couple of other tips I forgot to mention;

Regarding the heat shield that uses 3 bolts to secure it. This shield is a bugger to get the front and centre bolts off, so when I reinstalled the shield, I mounted it on top of the body instead of underneath. All you need to do is either drill the centre bolt hole out a little bigger or place a couple of washers on the "nut", then you can bolt the shield on from the top instead of the bottom.

I found the best way to line up the exhaust tips was have header, midpipe slip joint and muffler bolts loose, one buddy keeping an eye on the tips and another buddy moving the midpipe to get the tips aligned. My car needed the midpipe pushed to the right side of the car to get the tips aligned.
Once tips are aligned I found it best to tighten the muffler first, then the midpipe and finally the two bolts/springs at the header.

The one question I have is;

Does this system (catless header, Helmholz mid and Super Q) usually give a pop on upshifts?? If I upshift at about 3-4000rpm, every upshift I get a pop??

Cheers
BryanH915

Post by BryanH915 »

Brian, can you flip the top pic once clockwise please?

Cheers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Like this?
Attachments
flip.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BryanH915

Post by BryanH915 »

Yes, thank you. The pic that way shows the post I installed to zip tie the cable extensions to.

I also asked if the full exhaust system gets a pop on upshifts or is it something to do with tuning?

I get a pop on every upshift at about 4000rpm. Just wondering what is causing it??

Cheers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

BryanH915 wrote:Yes, thank you. The pic that way shows the post I installed to zip tie the cable extensions to.

I also asked if the full exhaust system gets a pop on upshifts or is it something to do with tuning?

I get a pop on every upshift at about 4000rpm. Just wondering what is causing it??

Cheers
That's a tune issue on the pop, can be changed with the tune. The kids intentionally make that worse for the pops and gurgle effect, in our cars here no pops.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com