Header wrap versus ceramic coating?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jboemler

Header wrap versus ceramic coating?

Post by jboemler »

PURELY from the standpoint of heat reduction under the hood, which is more effective?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Header wrap versus ceramic coating?

Post by Brian »

We hate header wrap, so for those reading along we need to say all header makers we know find you have voided your warranty if you wrap it, because it traps moisture against the metal and causes rapid wasting away of the metal surface, welds, etc. You trap enough heat, you change the metal properties over time, welds fail, etc. Wrapping headers was a hotrod thing, and the hardcore guys doing it were rebuilding their headers every season anyway. Then it became a street 'cool' factor thing and street guys did it and their headers fell apart eventually, or the car burned to the ground after the wrap absorbed enough oil over time and eventually became a perfect wick.

But to answer the question, the best wrap beats the best ceramic on keeping heat within. We still think it is a bad idea. Note our Track Dog Header Heat blankets don't have the issues of wrap, because they don't fully wrap each tube, moisture can escape.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Thanks Brian -- time for me to cook some crow for dinner. ;)
ryanholt

Post by ryanholt »

Brian,

I have been eyeing the TDR blanket since I installed my GWR Max Header. I've seen two trains of thought. SOme have said that with the removal of the stock header and cat that the increased airflow on that side of the engine actually negates the negative heat effect of the header in that space. I have the ceramic coated header to boot. While others suggest higher under hood temps attributed to the aftermarket header. What real world effects have you seen with the TDR blanket? Mainly looking as the underhood temps do seem to have an overall effect on the intake temps being sucked in to the supercharger.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I don't like to add blanket to ceramic coated, it will scratch the coating. But the blankets work, even when open a little to the bottom.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com