Installation Issues with ND Tower Brace

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
JJMorgan721

Installation Issues with ND Tower Brace

Post by JJMorgan721 »

I just installed the GW Tower Brace on my 2018 Miata RF Club and I have a question about the clearance with the Brake Reservoir... namely, the Brace bumps right into the end of the reservoir. No matter how much I try to adjust the brace it hits up against it.

My concern is that the normal vibration and the natural flex in the body might do harm to the Brake Reservoir.

I have asked others on the Miata Forum if they have had similar issues. A member with a 2016 Miata showed me his installation and there was nearly an inch of clearance.

Something seems wrong.
Attachments
IMG_0490.jpg
JJMorgan721

Re: Installation Issues with ND Tower Brace

Post by JJMorgan721 »

Here is a picture of the owner of the 2016 ND.

Notice the large gap between the brace and the brake reservoir...
Attachments
2016 ND Comparison.jpeg
JJMorgan721

Post by JJMorgan721 »

It is hitting hard enough to twist the reservoir slightly...
Attachments
IMG_0489.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Nothing wrong, and it won't hurt anything. You will see similar with many of the other brace brands though with some the bracing against the brake reservoir is adjustable by screw. The intent is just a bit better brake feel from slightly limiting flex of that assembly which is attached to the flexible firewall. It has never proven to be an issue, even for those of us racing and putting far more stress on it than you ever will in street use at half the power level and a fraction of the grip we run.

My Racing ND, Supercharged and currently 230 hp at the wheels or about 100 more hp than yours makes at the wheels. I am twisting my ND enough with 245/40/17 Hoosiers to break several transmissions, but no issue here for brace and reservoir and notice it looks the same as yours.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
KurtH460

Post by KurtH460 »

Here's a close up pic of the RS STB on my wife's 2017 Club. The bar is very close to the brake fluid reservoir, but not touching (there is a gap)
Attachments
20180818_093819.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Braces are all from same JIG, no design changes since original, and my ND is from first batch in USA and used for original fitment of the brace. So, I think you guys are seeing some variation on how they sit on the mount positions, and variation with factory brake bits to firewall, but original fitment was brace right against reservoir as you see in mine. If you don't want the contact, loosen at all the mounting holes and push brace forward as you put torque again on the nuts (factory black cowl bracket in particular has a lot of flex for mounting tabs so some movement is possible before torque is applied to the nuts).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JJMorgan721

Post by JJMorgan721 »

Thank you for your prompt reply Brian.

BTW - I used Gorilla Glue for metal to hold the small bolts your provided in place for the installation of the
side accessories. This really helped speed things along because otherwise it was nearly impossible to keep the
bolts from spinning while tightening the nuts on top. There is very little access underneath that area.
KurtH460

Post by KurtH460 »

I totally agree with Brian...the factory cowl bracket has variances for sure...had to slightly tweak mine to get best fit for the RS STB, and once done the fitment IS spot-on!!
Kurt
avera01

Post by avera01 »

I assume, that the same tips and advice would apply to a 2016 ND GT after adding the OEM cowl brace and RB STB?

Also, a question for Brian:

I noticed that on the website page for the 2016 ND Street, the product line includes the addition of the OEM cowl, but there is no mention of s STB. Did you install both the cowl and the brace?

Also, did you add the cowl/STB to your wife's RF?

Whether you did or not, I would appreciate your thoughts on why.

Thanks,

Andrew
BillK336

Post by BillK336 »

I doubt any brake MC brace is designed to transmit force through the reservoir.
Cylinder, yes.
2020 JBM Sport MT, GWR RaceTT, Conti DWS, Cobalt FSTB, Voodoo, Cravenspeed, and mx5things bits…
RIP '16 MG Club GWR, Race TT, Versatune, RS Springs & Konis, Conti ECS, TRM FF10, AA & AIO, etc...
'97's SOLD...