Mazda 2.5 engine conversion for NC1

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
WilliamM256

Mazda 2.5 engine conversion for NC1

Post by WilliamM256 »

Hello Brian, hope the move went well.

Since the SC kit is no longer available for the NC, I blew my winter tinkering budget on Ohlins and sway bars from Goodwin. Good results on the few good driving days left here in Michigan.

I'm still thinking about adding power. If I go to the 2.5 engine conversion, (as your recommended alternative to the SC kit), I have a few questions:
- I have already added the full Goodwin street (cat) header, Helmholtz midpipe, and Super Q muffler, as well as an AEM cold air intake and Dynotech ECU tune. Will all of these bolt in to the 2.5 engine, or would I have to replace all of them?
- I have added an HD clutch. Would I keep the current 6 spd trans and clutch, or do these need to be replaced?
- I assume I would need to switch out the radiator for a high capacity unit. Do I also need an oil cooler? (No heads down racing, just an occasional track night and back roads.)
- If I need to replace all of the above, would I be better off just waiting until the 2006 engine breaks and replacing it with a 2009 or later or new 2.0 engine?
- If machining of the ports and other tweaks are needed to fit a 2.5 engine (with current mods), can Goodwin supply the engine with necessary changes, and ship it?
- If just the 2.5 engine can be swapped with current mods, are there any recommended Miata shops in the midwest? My local Mazda dealer (Borgman) is good, and reasonably priced, but I don't know about performance mods.
Thanks for your help.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Mazda 2.5 engine conversion for NC1

Post by Brian »

- I have already added the full Goodwin street (cat) header, Helmholtz midpipe, and Super Q muffler, as well as an AEM cold air intake and Dynotech ECU tune. Will all of these bolt in to the 2.5 engine, or would I have to replace all of them?
- I have added an HD clutch. Would I keep the current 6 spd trans and clutch, or do these need to be replaced?

All your exhaust items bolt up to 2.5. Yes, you keep trans and clutch too.

- I assume I would need to switch out the radiator for a high capacity unit. Do I also need an oil cooler? (No heads down racing, just an occasional track night and back roads.)

Ideally our Triple Pass Radiator. Stock car in 2006 needed an oil cooler, upgraded power 2.0 or any 2.5 just needs it more. Factory learned this the hard way, made oil cooling sandwich standard for 2009+. That sandwich setup for using coolant as oil temp dump works fine for street use, any real track use should still have dedicated oil cooler.

- If I need to replace all of the above, would I be better off just waiting until the 2006 engine breaks and replacing it with a 2009 or later or new 2.0 engine?

2009+ engine lasts longer than 2006, but 2.5 is MUCH more fun.

- If machining of the ports and other tweaks are needed to fit a 2.5 engine (with current mods), can Goodwin supply the engine with necessary changes, and ship it?

Sorry, we don't ship motors.

- If just the 2.5 engine can be swapped with current mods, are there any recommended Miata shops in the midwest? My local Mazda dealer (Borgman) is good, and reasonably priced, but I don't know about performance mods.
Thanks for your help.

I would ask that question in the 2.5 threads at Miata.net so you get answers from your neighbors who have already done 2.5 in your region.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com