Oil Catch Can - any value?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
avera01

Oil Catch Can - any value?

Post by avera01 »

Reading the oil catch can in another Miata forum, there is some interest/concern about its need and the amount of oil flowing into the intake.

I read Brian's reply concerning the oil catch can in a RX-8 as being unnecessary unless you are using a SC or TC.

So for a daily spirited driver without a SC or TC, does this "rule" still applies to the 2016 ND?

Also, if 1 to 2 oz of oil is flowing into the air intake per scheduled oil change, at what point, if at all, will this be an issue for the stock engine? I saw some pretty gummed up intake ports photos on that forum which is why I m here asking.

Does the brand/grade of engine oil make any difference? I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W20 changed every 5K or 6 months whichever comes first.

Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Oil Catch Can - any value?

Post by Brian »

Short of having an intercooler (because you got boost), I don't see the value. With a Turbo or Supercharged car the issue is that inside of the intercooler gets coated and that hurts the efficiency.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LAMike

Post by LAMike »

I plan on using CRC DI valve cleaner every 5000 miles. Cheap insurance to prevent carbon, pre-ignition etc. Used it once already. Easy, no problems.
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Hi Mike,

Are you referring to CRC GDI IVD intake valves & Turbo cleaner? That is the only product I found related to your response.

If so, from what point in the intake system are you applying the spray? The instructions calls for spraying it past the MAF sensor.

If easy to apply, can you elaborate on how you do it?

Please correct me if I am wrong (not experienced in providing this type of maintenance service), but it appears to be more trouble than adding an oil catch can; if either method makes any difference on a stock engine.
LAMike

Post by LAMike »

[quote="avera01"]Hi Mike,

Are you referring to CRC GDI IVD intake valves & Turbo cleaner? That is the only product I found related to your response.

If so, from what point in the intake system are you applying the spray? The instructions calls for spraying it past the MAF sensor.

If easy to apply, can you elaborate on how you do it?

Please correct me if I am wrong (not experienced in providing this type of maintenance service), but it appears to be more trouble than adding an oil catch can; if either method makes any difference on a stock engine.[/quote]
====
Sorry for the delay in responding. I wasn't notified that you responded. Must be a way of turning that on.
Yes, CRC GDI IVD intake valves & Turbo cleaner. In my area Pepboys sells it at a discount. I bought 4. Plan on using it every 2-3k miles. I followed the instructions on the can. After warming up the engine, I disconnected the air intake and sprayed past the MAF engine rpm maintained at about 2500 rpm, spraying intermittently if or as rpm dropped. Plan on using a long piece of tubing so I can spray while sitting in the cabin to use the throttle. No helper needed. Heat soak for an hour then drive as instructed. the stuff keeps on working apparently for several days. The engine may miss or run rough occasionally as mine did once, that is normal as the carbon continues to shed off. I recently had Sakebomb Garage install the Edelbrock supercharger. I had the intake valves walnut blasted even though the carbon build up was not too bad. After reading about catch cans I will definitely be adding one later on. It's tough to add it now because the super charger has to be pulled. I'll wait about 5k miles and then do it. Should be a good test of the CRC valve cleaner also. Let me know if you want more info. Best, Michael
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I am still on the fence about adding the device, but since I plan on keeping the car for a very long (like 20 years) time, I think adding the oil catch-can will end up being a good maintenance investment especially for the long haul.

I know that Brian said it wasn't worth the cost unless I have a SC or TC, but I think that was based on a shorter vehicle ownership. Based on some of the comments on the forums, it seems like the valves will require cleaning at some point without it.