ND1 s/c. Change oil to Motul 300v, all hell breaks loose

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ChanceS905

ND1 s/c. Change oil to Motul 300v, all hell breaks loose

Post by ChanceS905 »

2016 Nd1 w/ edelbrock supercharger carb tune. Went to change the oil and someone reccomend Motul 300v, expensive but why the hell not? Its supposed to be the best and I love my car. Within a week plugs are so fouled (Brisk one step colder) its stumbling and throwing codes. Figured bad gas. its winter, maybe water. Put back in factory plugs and code goes away car drives much smoother. Week later car smells a bit funny (burnt toast-ish) and driving hard @5000rpm it pops, mostly in first gear. Now there is a valve tap. Runs/drives fine as long as it's not too spirited. I dont know what to do. Has my $70 oil betrayed me? Do I just cut my losses and change it? I want to install my water/meth as well as the Fab9 tune but I dont want to move forward without having this settled. Any input/help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Re: ND1 s/c. Change oil to Motul 300v, all hell breaks loose

Post by Brian »

I highly doubt the oil has any connection, but if lifter/valve noise indeed I change that next. I like that you changed plugs, that always the first thing we do, next is the oil. I do like the FAB9 tune, tried it wife's RF, worked well.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ChanceS905

Re: ND1 s/c. Change oil to Motul 300v, all hell breaks loose

Post by ChanceS905 »

It was the carb tune starting to foul my plugs, probably weather related (cold and wet) initially now its spark blow out. New tune new/properly gapped plugs seems to have done the trick.