Any thoughts on Mazda's new SkyActiv-G engine?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DavidP953

Any thoughts on Mazda's new SkyActiv-G engine?

Post by DavidP953 »

Got a 2013 Mx Club that while sporting the usual exhaust & header upgrades, could use more power. Not into superchargers mostly due to living in Arizona. Also it is a daily driver. I understand that the new ND is getting a SkyActiv-G four cylinder. Does any one have opinions if it is a significant improvement in usable power, and of course, can it be fitted in the NC3? Might be too soon to tell but was thinking of a future engine upgrade.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Any thoughts on Mazda's new SkyActiv-G engine?

Post by Brian »

None of skyactiv architecture matches up to NC. Everything is possible, but that would be all custom and likely not worth the trouble.

Meanwhile, your NC uses an MZR motor and bigger versions of that architecture do almost bolt in, 2.3 liter, 2.4, 2.5. That 2.5 is very popular, see our NC budget racer thread here and 2.5 swap section in our store. We got a lot of 2.5 swap customers running around with beyond 200 hp normally aspirated, beyond 300 to 400 with boost (and even a few customers north of 500 hp).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DavidP953

Re: Any thoughts on Mazda's new SkyActiv-G engine?

Post by DavidP953 »

Thanks for that info. Really liked that SkyActiv-G 2.5 liter (used in the Mazda 6 I believe), but if it is too hard to do, then I'm still convinced the NC3 is the best MX made.