Replacing shocks to Koni Sports

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
AC80934

Replacing shocks to Koni Sports

Post by AC80934 »

So recently I was servicing my brakes and noticed that my tires were exhibiting unusual tire tread wear (Michelin Pilot AS3 205 45 17). The inside tread was worn more than the rest of the tire and had some cupping. I took it into the dealer thinking it was an alignment issue and was told my shocks were worn and needed to be replaced. I have a 2014 Club model with 50000 km or 30000 miles. I do not auto x or track the car. It is a car that is taken on backroad and is driven quick but pretty casually overall. I had the alignment done anyway but am putting off the replacement of the shocks pending a second opinion.

My questions are:
Am I being scammed by the dealer? Do Bilstein shocks degrade after 50000 km to the point that they cup tires?

If I do need to replace my shocks can I simply replace the shocks and use the OEM springs? As I mentioned I drive the car casually with no tracking and don’t mind the ride as it is. I was thinking about the koni sports, front and rear and just keeping the OEM springs. Not really interested in lowering the car.

Any comments are appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Replacing shocks to Koni Sports

Post by Brian »

Worn shocks can indeed give the cupping wear indicator. That's not a lot of mileage for the shocks to be toast, but they did leave the factory about 6 years ago and age is also a factor in the seals slowly failing.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Hi Brian,

In a follow up question to your response and issue:

Do shocks have a limited life span regardless of usage?

Anything that is either pressurized or worked under pressure of compression and expansion eventually leaks and or wears out even without usage; i.e. springs can get used to being compressed over time and lose elasticity, seals will deteriorate and leak, etc..

The odd thing is that the manufacturer maintenance schedule does not specifically mention shocks, just inspect the front and rear suspension every 20 or 30K miles depending on the schedule followed. Not sure what "inspect the front/rear suspension" means in terms the process done by the mechanic. Does he just looks at it for leakage?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, all shocks wear out, it's just mileage and time.

Yes, often the shocks eventually leak and we can see the stains with dirt sticking to the fluid leaking out. But even if it doesn't leak out eventually the pressure is eventually gone and they won't damp the spring motions.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com