new Koni shocks with RS springs on RF???

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Chuck H

new Koni shocks with RS springs on RF???

Post by Chuck H »

When the new adjustable perch Koni shocks were announced for the ND, and I saw them on your website, I couldn't wrap my head around how lowering the bottom perch by "X" amount could lower that end of the car by anything other than "X" amount (like how can the next lower perch lower base springs by 30mm and Club springs by 20mm). :?:

Then it dawned on me that the stock springs are set up with some amount of pre-load on the fixed perches, and by lowering the bottom perch, you reduce the pre-load. Then it makes sense that the drop will always be greater than the amount you lowered the perch until all pre-load is gone, and that if the base springs run more pre-load than the Club springs, changing the perch has a bigger effect. :idea:

That leads to my real question. Has anyone tried them with Roadstersport springs? Without knowing how much preload those have on the fixed perches, it's hard to know how accurately you can drop the front end to try to level out an RF when running the soft top springs. If anyone has done it yet, I'd love to see a picture of how it came out, so I can convince myself to go the Koni/RS spring route rather than the Koni/FM spring route on my RF.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Re: new Koni shocks with RS springs on RF???

Post by Brian »

Hi Chuck

YES, the lower pressure twin tube combined with lower spring compression plus the shock is not mounted at the end of the A arms or links, it is further inboard, and that exaggerates the effects.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chuck H

Re: new Koni shocks with RS springs on RF???

Post by Chuck H »

Back to the last part of the question, is there any combination of the lower spring perches on the adjustable height Konis that levels out an RF with the soft top RS springs without completely slamming it, or hasn't anyone tried it yet?
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers