Budget tire recommendation?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jboemler

Budget tire recommendation?

Post by jboemler »

I've got a low-mileage '06 NC (with Cosworth), currently running on half-done Bridgestone RE-01R in 235-40/17 (8" wheels". I've recently picked up an "unrepairable" puncture (small nail in the shoulder). Leaks a pound or two a day. Debating whether to just drive it and fill it, or replace the entire set with some cheap alternative -- love to hear what on the current market that works well. Driving is aggressive street, no AX or track. I generally park the car when it's wet, but I've had good luck with all-weather tires on my OTM, so I'm not tied to max-performance summer-only. Looking to save money.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Budget tire recommendation?

Post by Brian »

Sumitomo HTR Z II is the lowest cost decent choice I know of....$99 per tire.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Thanks!
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

I haven't actually run them, but the HTR Z2's have a reputation for getting quite noisy as the tread wears. Another not insanely expensive option might be the new Yokohama Advan Fleva V701. It's pretty new, so not many reviews yet, but seems to be the replacement for the S-Drive, and should have similar performance.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

NOW you tell me, Chuck! I already ordered my Sumitomos. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info, though.