Adding turbo

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
boblanz

Adding turbo

Post by boblanz »

I'm thinking about installing a turbo in my 2018 mx5, would like info from others who have done this, I use this car for fun on the road, I live in the Catskills where most roads are 1 lane with little traffic and plenty of room to open it up.would like more power, at least additional 50 hp.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Adding turbo

Post by Brian »

50 more is our Edelbrock Supercharger kit. More than 50 is a turbo kit such as the AVO. We don't sell the AVO kit but I did like it, quality bits, everything fit, just a bit more work for install than the supercharger setup.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
boblanz

Post by boblanz »

My main concern is reliability, I now have 9000 miles on my mx5, drove it through the south this fall without a problem, will adding a supercharger effect reliably? I'd say I'm a aggressive driver, will it void my warranty?
Also most importantly how will it perform, I'm looking to increase my 0-60 times, which now is about 6,5 seconds, how will my top speed increase?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Top speed? You live somewhere you can regularly exceed 130 mph? If not, I don't see much relevance to that question, I have seen triple digits in our Supercharged RF before and after the supercharger was installed, the only difference is that I get there faster with the supercharger, I have not tested to see what our new top speed is today. None of our race tracks here in California have front straights long enough to push much beyond 115 to 120 MPH, car gets to that range and feels like it has more to offer but time to stand on the brakes and make the corner.

Have not found any differences here in engine reliability from supercharger or Turbo on ND Motors, the motor seems robust. But if you have motor warranty issue Mazda would obviously be in their right to deny coverage, and if that happens only Edelbrock has a warranty that would cover you. But given that it doesn't seem to really come up, I still don't see that issue as very relevant to choice of turbo or supercharger.

ND Transmissions are weak, adding boost won't help that weak box last. So far Mazda seems to be covering broken transmissions.

The Edelbrock Supercharger on my wife's RF has been no issue, and she is an ORIGINAL customer for that kit, she got it before it was available to the public, her install is oldest and she daily drives the car. Nothing has broken so far.

Brian
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com