Looking for more power for Street Performance

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Albert Flasher

Looking for more power for Street Performance

Post by Albert Flasher »

I am looking into what I need to make my 2018 RF Club a little more like the 2019, in regard to performance. So far for my shopping list I am looking at the GWR RoadsterSport Header, the RoadsterSport SuperQ Twin Tip exhaust and Orange Virus tune. I need to stay compliant with DMV laws in Nevada. Hopefully somebody out there can steer me in the right direction!

I am wondering if I need to switch out the mid-pipe? I was told from a pretty good source, changing out the mid pipe doesn't really change much, if anything, in the way of performance.

I am also a little baffles by the whole "tune" deal. What di I need to get a tune? And/or how do I go about getting a tune? What is the cost of said "tune"?
Last edited by Albert Flasher on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 RF Club with BBS Package in Machine Gray
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Looking for more power for Street Perofrmance

Post by Brian »

Indeed for street car without turbo or supercharger don't need to change midpipe, stock unit flows pretty well. But I would still do SuperQ Header version rather than twin tip with any header change, it is just SO MUCH NOISE that gets sent down the pipes with a header change because that stock high density converter in the stock header makes a VERY EFFECTIVE resonator, you are essentially dropping a big muffler out of the system when you go to open header.

We don't sell tunes, but they do help. Try the FAB9 tune...and tell Bryan Spears we sent you.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Albert Flasher

Re: Looking for more power for Street Perofrmance

Post by Albert Flasher »

Thanks Brian...that's good to know.
Last edited by Albert Flasher on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Flasher

Re: Looking for more power for Street Performance

Post by Albert Flasher »

I keep going back to your web-site and looking at things and then start wondering more about this or that. So my new question is, does adding the new mid-pipe help to quiet the noise from the header?

It used to be simple, install headers and bolt on header mufflers! Now there are mid pipes, converters, mufflers and tunes!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Albert Flasher wrote:I keep going back to your web-site and looking at things and then start wondering more about this or that. So my new question is, does adding the new mid-pipe help to quiet the noise from the header?

It used to be simple, install headers and bolt on header mufflers! Now there are mid pipes, converters, mufflers and tunes!
Our highflow midpipes are bigger diameter, full 2.5 inches. As a result of that higher flow, even with bigger resonator like we use as compared to stock the sound level is not lower than stock midpipe. Thus, only two reasons to do the midpipe. One is for full flow, most relevant to customers going with supercharger or turbo. Second reason is that midpipe has O2 connection after converter to make install of catless header plug and play (as opposed to having to weld an O2 bung to factory midpipe after converter).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Albert Flasher

Post by Albert Flasher »

Once again, thanks for the info.