Problems Replacing Front Pads - Wilwood Dynapro 6

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Freescopesdad

Problems Replacing Front Pads - Wilwood Dynapro 6

Post by Freescopesdad »

I have the Goodwin premium 6-piston upgrade on my ND. These include the Wilwood Dynapro 6-piston calipers (6712 shape) and stock rotors. Until recently I never had a problem replacing the pads. They came with Wilwood BP-20 pads which I replaced for track duty with Porterfield R4 pads. I had no difficulty installing these pads with fresh Centric rotors last year. In preparation for my first post COVID track day this past week I attempted to install a fresh set of Raybestos ST-43 pads that I bought here over the winter. For the life of me last Sunday I could not get these pads on (pads were in, could not get them over the rotor), even with the pistons fully retracted. I ultimately used my R4's but now they are definitely toast.

Fast forward to yesterday. I tried installing the ST-43's once again, after thoroughly cleaning up the inside faces of the caliper with brake cleaner and again fully retracting the pistons. But I did have to use a rubber mallet to tap the caliper in place over the rotor. I've since bedded them in on my favorite test dead-end street, and after a bit they seem to be working fine.

Am I doing something wrong or are the Dynapro 6's really that finicky?

Ron
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Problems Replacing Front Pads - Wilwood Dynapro 6

Post by Brian »

We can assume you had the cap for fluid open for full piston retraction? Regardless, not unusual in my experience with any caliper and many brands of pad to be so so tight we have to disconnect caliper from car and can barely slide it back over the rotors when loaded with the new pads and then cannot hand turn the wheel. Once bedded a little material is scrapped away and good to go.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Freescopesdad

Re: Problems Replacing Front Pads - Wilwood Dynapro 6

Post by Freescopesdad »

Thanks Brian. That is exactly what happened. Once bedded it seems fine.
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4