Wheel & tire questions for 2014 GT PRHT

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
EdW239

Wheel & tire questions for 2014 GT PRHT

Post by EdW239 »

I am new to the MX-5 club, having recently purchased a 2014 PRHT GT.
It has the LSD and Bilsteins according to the original order sheet.
Roughtly 44k on the odometer.
I am looking at wheels & tires, as I am not in love w/ the chrome American Racing wheels and Bridgestone runflats it has on.
I have been trying to read up on the ins & outs and I think I may know just enough to ask some dumb questions.
Of course, I am "ignoring" the advice that recommends doing the suspension first, but I have my (bad) reasons.

A bit of backstory - I bought the MX-5 after coming to a "parting of the ways" with my 2004 STi which I owned from 2005 until last summer when it spit out its built motor. While I got a LOT of enjoyment out of that car, an honest assessment would include the admission that I bought and installed a LOT of parts I didn't really need, but I thought I *might* need them, and I really wanted them. So, over time, enough money was shoveled down a Subaru shaped hole to pay for my MX-5. And likely a large number of future mods on it.

So, this time around, instead of just saying "of course! the answer is Ohlins!" and popping $2,100+ right out of the gate, I thought I would start by replacing the wheels and tires that I do not like. Once I am on some decent shoes, I can decide if further suspension work is needed/desired. For reference, the car is a daily driver. No AX, no track.

I am already concerned that an MX-5 shaped hole could hold a considerable amount of cash.
The Bose head unit has already been replaced, and Smart Top, Moroso coolant & Power steering tanks are on their way . . .

Because I am thinking "more tire = more grip" I find myself looking at Brian's advice (17x8 max for street) and thinking "but . . ."
(I own a fender roller . . .)

So, the overkill brain says:
17x9 Enkei PF01 +48mm and 255/40/17
(there appears to be no RPF1 17x9 +45 in silver??)

the less stupid part says:
17x8 Enkei RPF1 +45mm and 235/40/17 or maybe(?) 245/40/17 ? (see, he won't stop!)
this would save a bit over 2 pounds a wheel and the benefit of that might be greater than a tire that is .4" or .8" wider ?

I guess I am wondering - is the "max" choice too big to fit w/ stock suspension and fender rolling?
Or would the tires stick out to the point where it would need flares or "look bad" ?
I have seen some that looked fine, but not many from the right angles.

There is more I could say or ask, but this post is already tl;dr

I appreciate the input from people w/ experience w/ these cars.
thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Wheel & tire questions for 2014 GT PRHT

Post by Brian »

Welcome. I am big about getting the right tool for the job. If the job is daily driver fun, the tool we suggest indicated on the site as max wheel of 8 inches in width and max tire of 235/40....and that's again my suggestion now. Certainly I own 9 inch wide, even 10 inch wide, but those are for autocross and track only and I would never daily driver that wide because the experience is miserable. The Miata is about balance, balance front to rear, balance of having the right amount of tire and wheel and not too much, etc.

Ohlins for daily is my top pick, so I won't talk you out of that, because it rides great and handles great. Nonetheless certainly many many customers love our Progress Springs and set of KONI shocks.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
EdW239

Post by EdW239 »

Thanks! how do you get any work done at all if you have to field questions from the likes of me?

So, let's say I am smart enough to actually use the advice that I ask for (even if I have to be told twice, just to be sure!)
in the 17x8 RPF1 +45 and 235/40 I won't have any clearance issues on the stock suspension or potentially w/ the Ohlins at some later date?

I can't really do it all at once, as I already have about $1100 worth of parts (needed a new battery too!) and I haven't made my 2nd payment on the car. And after I pop for wheels, tires, TPMS, lugs, mount, balance . . . there will be a moratorium on MX-5 bits for a while.

meanwhile, the evil idiot who tries to run my brain says "Ohlins. definitely Ohlins. and a header. no! a complete exhaust!"
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I always say do the suspension mods first, then the car is ready to actually handle the extra grip. I get customers ignoring that all the time but the big grip added to soggy soft worn stock suspension is a mess, you turn the wheel to avoid that pothole and the extra grip grabs just long enough to SLAM you into the bumpstops, perhaps even lift inside rear wheel, etc. Also, the lowering makes that 45mm fitment more certain to fit because you suddenly have access to a lot more negative camber that tips tops of the tires under the lips.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
EdW239

Post by EdW239 »

I suppose I could just leave the runflats on and stockpile cash until they run out of tread.

I keep thinking "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly . . . "
and wondering "how much money will I have to spend to make myself unhappy . . . . ?"
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Here is my current 08 street toy, with our 17x8 Hypergram and 235/40. This is as much as I suggest stuffing in a street toy. Pics coming by end of this week with 16x8 combo on this same car with 225mm wide tires. That's our Budget Big Brake kit.
Attachments
BudgetStreet08.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
EdW239

Post by EdW239 »

do the Ohlins use different springs (rear, or front and rear) for cars w/ the PRHT ?

and is anti-sway bar (and endlink ?) upgrade needed/recommended with the switch to the Ohlins?

I guess if it is "suspension first" I need to figure out what exactly is getting purchased.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

In the jump to coilovers like the Ohlins we are going several times as much spring rate as stock, both front and rear, and thus no point in doing special version for PRHT. The minor bump the factory gives the rear rates for extra weight in rear of PRHT is just nothing compared to spring rates in any coilover choice. Stock links work with all our sway bars...but if considering the OHLINS my usual suggestion is do the ohlins first, drive the results before you consider the sways. At least half of our customers for the Ohlins do come back for sways, but for many it's such a revolution in the way the car drives that they don't thereafter feel the need to also add the sway upgrade.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
EdW239

Post by EdW239 »

thanks for the info & your patience.
I was looking at the install instructions and saw the note
NOTE: if you want to install sways it can be done easily with the shocks removed because you can then slide the front sway bar out through the sides!
So I wasn't sure if it was "now is the time!" or "oh, by the way"
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sways on NC certainly most easy to change when no shocks in there, but I still prefer folks to do one big change at a time and drive the results before they take that next step. Nonetheless, certainly true that you save some labor doing it all at once. So you get to balance the good idea of one change at a time is the best practice against the labor savings.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com